1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your next project?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Aug 19, 2021.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting using the 70-200 for street. I was suggesting using it for events.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Sorry, meant to highlight the 15-45mm. If I had it left on anything it would be wide open.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I make no claims to therapy of any kind as I'm not in the least bit qualified (a three week Mental Health First Aid course doesn't really count!) I am just an offered activity at the hub. They got funding for a number of activities 'exploring' mental health but I didn't want to ask people who were perhaps only just at the stage of feeling comfortable coming to the hub in the first place to poke at their own issues so we opted to focus on positive things we do for ourselves. If anyone gets any therapeutic benefit out of it that's a bonus! Several in the group have had really lovely things to say about the sessions though which has been great.

Zou, spinno, Catriona and 1 other person like this.
  4. RovingMike

Yes great. But I suspect the effect you are having is right in line with PT strategies whether you know it or not. You are just not navel-gazing about what they take and invoking some deep Freudian motivations.

Geren likes this.
  5. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

My next thing is a couple of exhibitions coming up. Nothing fancy, one at the Naze tower in Walton and the other in colchester library. I've just finished framing them and attaching the cords tonight ready for delivery on Monday.

It's been good fun, from choosing the photos to printing and then framing, it's kept me occupied for a few weeks.

Photography wise, I need to get into London for some street photography I think. It's been on the cards for a while I've just not had the weather I'm looking for.

Mark101, Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  6. EightBitTony

Nice, a couple of forum members with stuff in exhibitions.

Yes, I intend (as ever, but health etc.) to get to London and do some street photography, I'm tired of the local streets and lack of inspiration. They even painted my favourite red wall a dark grey which has made me sad.

7. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I'm finding similar frustrations with my area. With my visit to the sainsbury centre, I realised I need new areas to explore, there is also something nice about being away from the town where I live.

8. EightBitTony

Yes, I caught a video on YouTube from a street / architecture photographer who made the point that if you want to shoot your home town, you need to walk around it like a tourist, look up, look down every alley. It's much easier to do that in places which are new and you don't have a lot of experience of, otherwise you end up walking the same routes and 'knowing' what you'll find.

I know it's rose tinted, but I look at photos from Manchester and London and think 'man I wish I had those skylines / buildings / structures / streets locally, look how great those shots are.' I'm sure I do have those features, and could make shots, but it's just hard when everything is so familiar (and of course, you have to be able to compose a shot, so even in London there's no magic solution).

But I need more inspiration, the problem is being inspired enough to put in the effort to be more inspired.

zx9r and peterba like this.
  9. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

I am not a project kind of guy.
    I will be switching to Landscape/Seascape photography soon.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I start a new project, every day I head out and every time I turn a corner ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Simon Leung, Dan S, Geren and 2 others like this.
  11. Dan S

Dan S Well-Known Member

I feel the same way, I struggle to find anything new in my home town, but perhaps I should be a tourist.

I was in Norwich again yesterday and saw so many compositions just from the bus and I thought the same as you, if only i had all that around me!

I find it difficult sometimes to be inspired just to go out too, but usually I'm pleased when I do make the effort... just not locally. I find Youtube great for getting the juices flowing as well as instagram, although I find there is an awful lot of very samey photos on instagram that initially I think are good, but after seeing a hundred that look similar I lose my initial interest.

I think a project is something that I need. I was toying with the idea of isolation but woujld need willing participants and that all important effort of getting it together.

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I think we all feel that way at some point but while it's easy to think you've photographed it all before I don't think that's true - you probably haven't photographed the same streets but from a different perspective. And I don't just mean looking up/down/sideways etc. I find it helpful to have, if not a project, then a purpose to my home town shots. I might be looking for things that make me smile, or angry, or things I find beautiful, or the differences between the same spots at day and night times or weekdays versus weekends or the same spots in different weather conditions or things that I think the council should be doing more about, or things I wish the council had left well alone, or the things that I think we've all just got used to and accepted but which a tourist woudl spot a mile off. I'm srue there are a million other different 'perspectives' to choose from.

13. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree, Tony, but I think there's actually more to it than city skylines or buildings. For me, there tends to be a different atmosphere about city streets which is (usually) missing from the streets of small provincial towns. Such towns can be perfectly agreeable to visit, but often result in seriously tedious photographs, IME. I don't believe that this odd conundrum is (directly, at least) to do with the architecture per se, more to do with the 'vibe' of the place. Meanwhile, villages can be very picturesque, but can also be difficult places from which to garner interesting photographs (again, IME ;)).

I find it slightly frustrating that places which are pleasing to the eye are often hopeless for photography, while grottier places can offer some good opportunities - but it really does seem to be the case, in many instances. :confused: I guess that this might be connected to the popularity of 'urbex' photography.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    zx9r, EightBitTony and Dan S like this.
  14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Don't know what you lot are complaining about.

Takes me about ten minutes to stroll leisurely from the 30mph sign to the national speed limit sign at the far end. Assuming I stop to compose a couple of frames.

S

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  15. peterba

Who said we were complaining, Steve? ;) :p I reckon we were discussing. :D

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

In this forum?!

S

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  17. peterba

Well, it does happen - occasionally! :D

18. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Easy peasy, Dan, just a/your camera with on the bus and, like I do, take snaps from the bus :). As for willing participants, they're everywhere :)

Cheers,

Jack

Dan S likes this.
  19. RovingMike

So, after shooting the dilapidated pile that was Horton Chapel in grounds of a long-closed mental hospital a few years ago, my next project is I have been invited back, with a couple of others, to shoot a preview day on Saturday at the new Horton Arts Centre that is nearly ready to open. Looking forward to it.

[​IMG]Old Piano 2 mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

spinno, zx9r, Simon Leung and 2 others like this.
  20. RovingMike

So, completed the Arts Centre reportage job on Saturday and delivered the shots. Samples here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvyHTKOAM542t0gqcwnTY3w2U_8U?e=nLxiLK

Brief was to show the preview days in action with emphasis on the visitors and displays basically to impress the sponsors. They have done an incredible job.