1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your next project?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by EightBitTony, Aug 19, 2021.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So what's your next project, inspiration, focus, or thing to try?

I've been into Nottingham loads of times since the lockdowns were lifted and I've walked it and walked it and I'm pretty done with it, but for various reasons, it's probably the only place I'm going to be going with a camera for the time being.

So I'm going to try and get back to 'decisive moment' street photography, and I'm going to use the EOS M50 with the 15-45mm lens, left at 45mm. I'm going to stop worrying about depth of field and isolating the subject with that and just stick to nice old f7.1 and try and get some moments.

(We've also got some local pride events coming up, so I'll get a chance to get out with the EOS R and the 70-200 f4 and hopefully get some nice shots, but that's not really a project per se).

I need to get back into my local town and do an update of the shots I took from 2016 to March 2020 documenting store fronts and the high street, a lot has changed both during lockdown and over those 5 years.

I still keep thinking I might want to try some film photography but every time I think that I remember I don't have a lot of time, and there's so much I still want to get done with the cameras I have, but you never know, I might get around to it (I still vacillate between just getting a 35mm SLR, or something more exotic, surely a 35mm SLR is just going to feel like shooting with my current camera, only slower and more painful, if I'm going to mess with film I should mess with something that feels more fundamentally different).

I would love to do some travel photography in some exotic places, but it's just not going to happen.

You?

Dan S likes this.
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

My next project will be the cricket club annual photobook, which is usually followed by me not feeling able to face photography until the season starts again in spring!

You could always try box cameras.....
    (goodness, a coat, could it be mine?)

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Too complicated.

What about a pinhole camera?

S

4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Mine's going to be...trying to fix the Exa IIa I've just bought. It supposedly doesn't wind...

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

How about a Medium Format TLR (e.g. Yashica, Rollieflex), Tony?

Reasonably inexpensive, and fun....... and they'd certainly meet your wish that it "feels more fundamentally different" from your digital kit! ;) :D

6. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Preface:
    I am probably the last person to advise on this as I find photography is like a switch, do nothing for years then suddenly get all turned on to taking pictures, editing existing files, looking at other peoples work, reading about noted photographers. It has always been some event or happening in my life that has turned the switch on again it is a very rapid event unlike the loosing interest which is a slow process usually it starts by noticing that I have a huge amount of image files on the laptop that have not been processed beyond a quick tidy to post into a facebook album.

Buying new hardware does not re awaken the love but has often been an event shortly after I have become interested in photography again.

I have been enjoying looking back on your lock down pictures, Nottingham seemed to get on with it much more than London, London became a ghost town, no people, no traffic it was great for architectural shots but very quickly I was missing the walker or cyclist that I love to position in my, not street because I don't think I do street photography, city scape shots.
    My lock down photography was in the time I used to get up to go to work and the time the rest of the house got up, I took phone shots of all the shadows and the play of light that I had previously noticed at 6AM but was rushing to have breakfast and go to work. Covid and an iPhone got me back into photography.!!!
    Yes a good idea but after a couple of outings at 45mm try it a little shorter, go and get a fixed 35mm f/2.8 manual focus lens on a cheep adapter, set it f/11 and focus by distance scale. Let the camera do the exposure, focus is fixed and all you need to think about is the composition and action.
    ^^^^ Go wider perhaps and get closer with the standard zoom or that fixed manual focus lens you are going to buy, see above. ;)
    Store fronts and pubs all could be updated, do it.
    Could be what you need or it could be a massive re herring, try the manual lens on the CCS / DSLR for starters.
    Yes exotic places are missed by many of us but I am sure that there are plenty of new places to explore even in the next town, village, county, region or UK country all of these will get you out of your 'home town' rut.
    What ever you do, good luck, I am sure you will post the results of you new exploits for us all to see.

Zou likes this.
  7. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

You may want to look at the money a TLR makes these days, thirty plus years ago I shot weddings on a Yashica 124G I think it cost around £100 new, I was stunned to see a 'mint' 124G offered for just under £600 last week there is no way they are worth that much...

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  8. peterba

Yes, I know. However, I did check before posting, and found a (rather battered) Yashica Mat, a Rolleicord for less than £200, and a Rolleiflex at £250.

There are still some sensible deals out there, but the prices are generally rising fast. :(

zx9r likes this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've been told, by someone in a position to know, that a lot of high prices on ebay are money laundering. My informant believes that outsiders see the high prices and emulate them, much to the annoyance of the crooks. ;)

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, they're definitely not. Somewhat dodgy wind mechanisms after so many years, partly down to some plastic cogs.
    Think I might unload some of my Rolleis at current prices...

zx9r likes this.
  11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

New Year's Eve I'm shooting my first wedding for something like 25 years - my brother-in-law. Shot his first wedding all those years back, too...

zx9r and EightBitTony like this.
  12. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Quite possibly but the one I am thinking of is in a well established bricks and mortar shop. I won't link to it but suffice to say that I bought some of my Contax equipment from them in the mid 1980's when they had a chain of stores including one in Swiss Cottage.

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="EightBitTony, post: 1717795, member: 51491"
    I still keep thinking I might want to try some film photography but every time I think that I remember I don't have a lot of time, and there's so much I still want to get done with the cameras I have, but you never know, I might get around to it (I still vacillate between just getting a 35mm SLR, or something more exotic, surely a 35mm SLR is just going to feel like shooting with my current camera, only slower and more painful, if I'm going to mess with film I should mess with something that feels more fundamentally different).

You?[/QUOTE]Slower can on occasions be better, film cameras make you more reluctant to shoot photographic spam as each frame costs.

zx9r likes this.
  14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Until I finish decorating the lounge including laying a wooden floor, photography will have to take second place. When I do I want to improve my bird photography, get used to my 1DX and at least get some more photos for my year end calendar.

EightBitTony and peterba like this.
  15. peterba

You really should get your priorities right, Steve! ;) :D

16. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I agree but I did volunteer to decorate rather than pay the very high local tradesman’s prices. I didn’t realise my wallpapering skills had diminished over the past 12 years partly due to lack of practice and partly age. Work has also been very busy during the pandemic so I need time to recover at weekends.

peterba likes this.
  17. peterba

I think we've all made that particular mistake! :D

zx9r likes this.
  18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The street "purist" might say replace that with a prime 35, 28 or even 24mm. And if you're buying anything new, make it small and inconspicuous. If you're leaving it set on anything, just either make it P or wide open.

I led a photo walk for Epsom CC Sunday and weather was awful. I took just the silver Oly Pen f and 35mm and 24mm optics. I was supposed to be leading and teaching, but snapped a few here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rovingmike/albums/72157719732276632

As to next, well, last Friday that was my next, so I'll have to see. The summer walks programme is over and I have completed my work for the RPS Frontiers project. I believe the Doc group might be coming up with a theme to support single local shops that have ridden out Covid so far. Sounds good, so I'd have a stab at that.

zx9r likes this.
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm currently making work alongside some of the members of a local community mental health hub where I'm delivering workshops. Our task at the moment is to make photographs that show the things we do to boost our mental health - for some it's walking, or swimming, gardening or reading and so on. The work I'm making is just a collection of things I see on a daily basis which for whatever reason, make me feel happy/curious/surprised/amused and so on. Things to be grateful for but particularly visual things.

The next step is going to be tougher because having worked alongside some of these people I realise that they all have incredibly interesting stories and I'd like to do a part documentary, part portraiture series with them. However I don't want to start it just yet because it would feel like I'd started the workshops just to get those images which wasn't the objective. I do think it would be something the hub might like to have in their archive though but it's all a bit sensitive just now.

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

We had some discussion years ago about value of Photo Therapy and Therapeutic Photography (which are different things). I tried to get a TP thing going to help CFS patients, but it failed utterly. They just didn't have the motivation to go do it. Sounds like you are more in the PT area. I think you are fully entitled to bang on with your project, but need some OK from on high I suppose.

Geren likes this.