1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first darkroom!

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by plugsnpixels, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just strange but I used to love the smell of the chemicals.

Cheers, Jeff

2. plugsnpixels

plugsnpixels Well-Known Member

The old bedroom I used was upstairs, hot, and had no ventilation until I was done and could pop the plywood out of the window!

3. Misusawa

Misusawa Member

I have a darkroom setup at home that has an ancient Gnome 35mm enlarger.

In the past I had an Oempus optima 5, one that could do medium format too.

This is one of the first pictures I darkroomed... maybee two months after my initial setup.

[​IMG]

4. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I started in 1951 at the East Ham Grammar School Photo-Soc. and we did contact prints on Kodak 'Velox' paper then it was a 'Big Day' when the School got an Enlarger ! It was the ubiquitous 'GNOME' made in Wales with a lens with only two stops, but I printed some 6x9 format negs from my Mum's Brownie Hawkeye Box Camera on it -- then when I joined the South Essex Camera Club as well, they had a 'home-made' enlarger you could hire for 2 shillings and 6 pence a week -- so i used that, then finally I made my own out of Dried Milk Tins for the lamphouse and metal rods done in the School Metalwork Classes and part on an old plate c amera ! I Finally got a Gnome Beta II after saving up, with 75mm f4.5 Dallmeyer lens bought from Wallace Heatons in London. I used my bedroom -- washed prints in my Mum's sink and glazed them on her mirror over the Fireplace -- the old Coal Fire warmed them up nicely.
    In the Army in Berlin we had a 'Red Shield Club' run by the Salvation Army with a German enlarger that I used and left strip of 4 negs in there the night before I was due to move to the British Zone so I lost my pics of the Brandenburg Gate . In BMH Iserlohn I used the X-Ray Department which was next to my Path Lab and took lots of photos of Generals and Officers for their ID purposes and had all ' home-made' Developers and Fixers paid for by the Poor British Taxpayer ( well they paid for Bullets and Tanks so why not Metol and Hydroquinone etc ! )
    Years later, at home I got a British 'GAMER' Universal on which I started Colour Printing with the E2 process in a Drum and dishes, then even more years later I have 3 Enlargers and a 16x12 " 'NOVA' slot processor for RA4 Colour and still do B&W in Dishes with home-made developers.
    I attach photo of my Enlargers at at present : Durst M601 given, LPL C7700 Pro bought, Durst M305 Colour head given and some lenses and REAL FILM Folks !
    [​IMG]Enlargers by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

5. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

My first "darkroom" was my wardrobe with a blanket over the door. Nearly suffocated myself...

Then at Senior School the Hall Projector Room was set up as a proper darkroom and had an enlarger.

Fortunately at work, I had access to top class processing labs that could do things for me...

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

What a super history! I never got to Berlin being stationed for a year, 1958-9, south of Hanover.
    I recall my early interest being started by watching my mother using POP and waiting for the sun to shine brightly enough for a decent tone. Then my father really got me hooked by showing me the wonders of "gaslight" paper. I recall Dad loading the negative and paper into a contact printing frame (possibly in his own shadow), then holding the frame above his head and close to the kitchen light for a short time, before developing, fixing and washing the print. (I certainly can't remember him using any form of safelight.)
    Magic!! ...for a 6-8 year old. And I still get a feeling of awe when the print's tones show up in the developer.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, in about two hours I shall be in what is probably the last student darkroom in Oxford - paying for four years membership of the photographic society as soon as I knew I was being made redundant seems a good move! Just developing films today, hopefully will get some wet printing done (if anything is worth printing...) before I go back to work (though as it's on my way home anyway, that's not a major problem!).

I hope to turn our outside lav into a darkroom, but while there is still any chance of Dad visiting us it must remain primarily a lav, as he can't get up the stairs, and, to be honest, there are higher priorities in the house!

Adrian

8. Craig Vanrooy

Craig Vanrooy Active Member

Whilst I've been a keen digital photographer for a while I have only just recently started using film, I go to WW" re-enactments and I love taking pictures on cameras that were used during the same era. Sadly, between a garage with a brewery and a bar and a spare room filled with snowboard equipment I don't have the space for one. Thankfully a local 'hackspace' has set one up and whilst it has evoved several times this is what it now looks like -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have recently had running water installed so it really is a fantastic area to use!

PeteE likes this.
  9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

No just people who could not count grandmothers.