1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Young and Foolish - North Atlantic - 1963

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by sagamore, Jul 20, 2017.

1. sagamore

sagamore Well-Known Member

I decided I wanted a dramatic photograph, so foolishly took myself outside on the lowest deck, as we smashed our way through quite a blow. Loud, juddering thump, and this lot came tearing towards me along the 400-foot foredeck. I was directly in its path, and nowhere to go. I clicked the shutter, and went flat beneath the bulwark as it burst against the lower accommodation structure. I was soaked, but the camera was OK!
    Bob
    [​IMG]

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Nice one.

I sailed through an Aegean storm as a lad and a couple of us crawled (no way to walk) up the sharp end to a little cover about 3ft deep right in the bow. The bow was rising at an alarming angle and crashing down so the waves were hitting the bridge. They could see us up there and were going frantic, but couldn't get to us.

Much later in life I was on the bridge of a ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan with the Naval Architect Jimmy Ayres and the tub was rolling all over the place. Not wanting to interfere too much I quietly asked if the ship had stabilisers. Oh yes said Ayres, I designed them myself and added that they were hydraulic. As the ship rolled one way, pumps pumped water to the other side to even it up. I thought for a moment and said in all innocence, but that would take enough time to double the roll wouldn't it? Ayres looked downcast and said that's exactly what happened and why they didn't turn them on.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

And this is exactly why I'm a total landlubber!

4. sagamore

I never sailed with water stabilsiers, only the fin types that stuck out under water. They were very effective in minimising the roll in moderate to heavy swells, but had to be taken in during bad weather, because they could get ripped off. No stabilisers in iron ore carriers though! (Above image).
    Anyway, that is exactly why I wanted to go to sea. I wanted a life of adventure, but I didn't want to join the Navy and get shot at, so the merchantt navy was the best option! If I was leaving school again in 1959, I would still have gone to sea, and done it all again. But, if I was leaving now, I would not consider it. The present generation ships are too ugly for me, and in any case I would not be clever enough to qualify for a certificate of competency in radio and electronics these days. Left school without anything - not even an O level!:oops:
    Bob

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. RovingMike

So did my old man. Served operationally as a radio operator aircrew through the war and then went to night school in 1956, did some O levels and after a stint as instructor at the No1 radio school, Locking, in 1960 became an officer.

6. sagamore

Well, He would have certainly been familar with this. It is an R1155 main receiver from a Lancaster Bomber. I found it on a car boot sale in a very dilapidated condition. First of all, I repaired it electrically so that it was fully functional again. Then I refurbished the dial and metalwork, taking all the bolts and screws out and turning them up bright again on the lathe, and cleaning up the black crackle cabinet.
    Bob
    [​IMG]

7. sagamore

This is what it looked like when I got it.
    Bob
    [​IMG]

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Very nicely done.

9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I seem to remember British Rail/Sealink announcing that the ship you were on was fitted with Denny Stabilizers........Huuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwiiiiiiieeeeee!

Lynn

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Fantastic job, and a real piece of history. Thanks for sharing.:)

Edit:
    Just to add to that. This is why we take photos isn't it, so stuff like this will live forever?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    EightBitTony likes this.
  11. RovingMike

You did a good job on that radio.

When the old man was c/o of the signals monitoring section in Cyprus in early '60s, I used to go in and listen to the Canberras and Vulcans on the bombing range in Akrotiri Bay on tank radios. His men had a bank of tape recorders and one was full of Buddy Holly. Great times.