1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You gotta be kidding!

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Fen, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

Reading on some of the other forums regarding the Dynax 7 Digital...

KonicaMinolta are planning on releasing the D7D in kit form to start with and then at a later date, body only.

This is in US, Canada and Australia. Will they do it different in Europe?

The body only price, rumoured of course, is going to be about £1200. But the kit version is going to be nearer £2500!

Kit contains; D7D Body, 18-55mm lens, Vertical hand grip and battery pack.

Two and a half grand!

Just a second, let me shoot myself in the foot. Surely that's what they're doing!

fen.
      fenris photography

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Bang!

Let's hope that shot was the sound of someone at the head of marketing at Minolta doing the decent thing and comitting Hari Kari because if what you say is true Fen, then what they are proposing is echonomic suicide with the present trend with digital SLR prices!

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

3. ab..

ab.. Well-Known Member

Re: Bang!

Yep..if that's true, the shortlist just got shorter.

AB..

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Crossword style

20 Down. Six Below(The future is red).

Graeme

AGW[​IMG]

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: You gotta be..expletive deleted.. kidding!

Evening Fen,

The Canadian kit is similiar, except we have a flash included(??), to the UK/Europe kit with the exception of the lens in that our kit does not include a lens but will be selling for around $2400 CDN (before taxes)/$2750 (after taxes) so that 18-55 lens better be one he//uva lens to be paying £2500 or $5875.00 CDN @ 2.35 xchange.

The body only price seems to be on par with what our will cost.

Now, the other thing you can pray for is that KM will look at the other kits
    and decide to maybe just to the body and lens as a kit.

Cheers,

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Fen

There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding the imminent release of the Digital 7, including kits, although the common make up that I have seen is the camera, 18-55mm lens, extra battery and 2500 flash, however IIRC I also saw a comment by David Kirkpatrick, who edits Photoworld the KonicaMinolta club magazine, that the D7D will be released in the UK (and probably Europe) as a body only option.
    If the Kit option is of interest then having a useful contact in Canada/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif, could be of real use as the Kit price is rumoured on one of the MUG forums to ba around the 2500$CDN or just above mark which at current rates would be around £1100 &#43 mark.

PS Jack are you willing to take orders prior to your next vist here/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

<font color=blue>Ron CRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

7. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Jack what is the makeup of the Kit as you know it? and is the body in Canada going to be around 1150$CDN i.e. just over £500UKP

8. Done_rundleCams

Morning Ron,

From Konica-Minolta Canada about 3 weeks ago:

**Maxxum 7D introductory kit will be available for shipping beginning of November, the kit will include:
    Maxxum 7D body
    VC-7D vertical grip and battery pack
    2500D flash

Introductory "shop price" will be about "$2399 CDN (before taxes)" for the kit. This will reflect a saving of $90.00 CDN from individual prices for these three items.

Maxxum 7D body only will be available for shipping mid December
    suggested retail for body only will be $2199.00 CDN ( or - $20) before taxes.

Suggested retail for the VC-7D and 2500 D flash are $229.99 CDN before taxes each ***

Hope this helps somewhat.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

9. Done_rundleCams

"PS Jack are you willing to take orders prior to your next vist here"

Morning Ron,

As long as they will fit in my 'carry on luggage'/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif!!

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

10. Done_rundleCams

Morning Fen,

Just got an email from KM Canada informing us of a 'staff training session' regarding the new KM camera's including the DSLR...(d'uh). I was wondering
    if you had any specific questions about the camera you might want me to ask,
    with the exception of pricing as that is different from area to area as we already know/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif. So Fen if you have queries just send me an email or post
    them here.

And this go Ron, Garry, Graeme and any other Minolta Fiends I have forgotten/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

BTW, these sessions will take place in about 3 weeks time around November 8,9, and 10th.

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

11. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

It does indeed Jack, thanks

So according to my online currency converter that makes (less Taxes):-

Kit = £1062

Body Only = £973

Grip or flash = £101

The kit cause it includes a battery pack does indeed look exceptional value for money in comparison to what we over the pond are likely to be looking at paying.

12. BigWill

and it's "only" 6 megapixels!

When they do eventually get the bloody thing on the market it's already going to have been superseded by the latest crop of 8 megapixel cameras!(D20 etc.) OK, so you and I know that megapixels don't really mean jack in the greater scheme of things and that it's all marketing hype but joe public doesn't know that and will go for the latest and biggest regardless of what the specs mean in the real world. Minolta.................I despair, I really do!

BigWill

13. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

But it's got AS.......

But Will can you get sharp images with your Long Tom (300mm or 450 equiv) on your 10D at ISO 100 @ f/8 and 1/30th hand held or ISO 100 @ f/16 and 1/8th hand held using a 50mm or do you need to rack up the ISO on the 10D

14. BigWill

I don't care if it's got an "AS" like Jeri Ryan!

Minolta are still putting way too much emphasis on a questionable technological innovation which has already been done in the shape of image stabilized lenses by Canon ages ago! Minolta have really lost the plot as far as I can see and instead of being the "innovators" they once were, now they are simply content to "re-hash" old ideas in the hope that the public will see it as an innovation. Newsflash Minolta........................the photographic public aren't that easily fooled!

BigWill

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Re: I don't care if it's got an "AS" like Jeri Ryan!

...a questionable technological innovation...

I'd hardly call the AS system questionable. It's reputed to work well on the small format bridge camera's. OK, it's going to have to move a considerably larger senor assembly but, as Canons IS can move a whole lens group around fast enough to cope, I don't see that as a likely hinderance to effectiveness. The real benefit of course is image stabilisation with every lens regardless of focal length. On the downside it will add cost to the camera and of course you have to have a D7D to use it......film users get stuck with 1/focal length..../img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

I also read somewhere that Canon too are looking at a similar idea.

Nigel CRIPN

You don't have to be mad to come here....
    ...but if you do...you are! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

16. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

17. BigWill

Re: price under £1100 inc vat and delivery

Well at least it's going the right way Garry. Wonder if 7dayshop will ever get hold of a few of them, then you'll really see the price fall!

BigWill

18. gazraa

gazraa Well-Known Member

19. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will you're wrong...

Will, I think you have got it wrong mate, the AS technology has been tested and proved to work, which means that when I get my D7D all of my 'A' mount lenses will be 'image stabilised' I also note that Konica Minolta have not had to bring out a 'new' lens mount for their DSLR unlike the EF-S mount that Canon has, therefore all the lenses I have for my Dynax film bodies will also fit and work on the D7D.
    As Nigel points out the AS system has interested Canon enough that they are looking at it the last time that happened was when Minolta brought out the Dynax 7000, they still have it in their museum. So I would reckon that it's different technology from Canon, but, NEW, not old!
    As for re-hashing, Canon have been rehashing Minolta flash technology for years now, and their latest flash guns still don't come up to the standard and capability of Minolta's current system which was designed with Digital in mind 4 years ago. So who are the followers here?, I've never heard of any Minolta user complaining about the inability of their flash system unlike the big 2.
    The big difference Will is that Minolta are only a small player in the market in comparison to Canon and don't have anywhere near the R&D budget that Canon have, but what they do develop, in certain areas, not only beats Canon but knocks them into a cocked hat, for example film scanners, for both 35mm and MF film scanners Minolta would seem to rule the roost.
    Going on your thinking Will, Minolta, Nikon and every other camera manufacturer should give up the game, cause we are all being fooled according to you, however, I disagree, Minolta suits my needs cause the cameras are laid out in a way, that I feel is right for me, whereas, I cannot get on with Canons at all, in fact I prefer Nikon's to any Canon I've handled, also in terms of the results I get from my Dynax, they are as good as any that I've seen others get out of an EOS.
    And think about it Will, if it wasn't for Minolta and Nikon then you wouldn't have your nice new 10D cause Canon without competition wouldn't need to continually bring out newer versions of cameras with the resultant drop in price of the previous mark and they could still be charging 10's of thousands for a DSLR, which the average snapper could neither justify or afford

20. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Re: Will you're wrong...

Hi Ron
    You know that Will was just having a playful wee dig! You are of course almost right in everthing you say....
    ...but as a Canon user I sometimes think that its not the competition that is driving the production of newer models...simply the desire to sell more. They are in business to make money and if they didnt keep selling new cameras to existing users they would probably end up going out of business...

Graeme

AGW[​IMG]