1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Yellow (2)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by monkeys bunny, Jul 21, 2011.

1. monkeys bunny

monkeys bunny Well-Known Member

Once again been playing around with things i have to hand to try to practise, I have posted some more pictures to my 'profile' if you would be kind enough to post any comments you have on them. I like these and have tried to take in your comments and get the focus etc but im sure you can point out more faults and give your opinions so i can, hopefully, keep getting better.

Once again, thank you
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think there is a problem so much with the lighting and focus/sharpness with these flowers.( except the 2nd picture looks a little over brightened or reflected).The stamens are in focus, and I presume you used a tripod, or rested the camera on the work bench? If technically, that side you were worried about, it seems quite ok to me.

But for me, flowers are quite difficult to do well especially if they have strong colours, and need a good background to offset them, and compliment them well.For example, if you put an orchid in a pretty girls hair, it can look nice, and compliments the scene. I think the table top, and the ( what I presume ) is a vase, doesn't quite work for me, as it's not "set" well enough to look stylish or artistic and get away with it. As flowers (unless taken in the wild), really look good if that's done well.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth! :)

3. monkeys bunny

They are on the floor & w was holding the camera laid on the floor.

i tried to take the lily outside while still growing but i didnt like it thought it was a bit boring & wanted to try something diffrent. i was trying to make the flower stand out without making the background just my garden, we are renovating it & it mainly makes up of a few flowers, bricks & mud. what would you suggest for a better background?

4. cas100uk

cas100uk Well-Known Member

I basically agree with what has been said above. Looks in focus, exposure looks ok etc. The problem is it just looks like you have put them on the floor and that is a bit obvious in the shot. For me a simple black background would work although that is well tried and tested so could be a bit boring for some. Still for me the background needs to be simple.

Unless you want to be different and present the fact that the bright flowers are in a run down environment (not suggesting that your floor looks run down.......lol) and then you would need to show more of the background with the flowers in the scene somewhere if you know what I mean.

5. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

The best thing is to experiment with all sorts of lighting, situation, and colours, and see what you like, and think works. It really doesn't matter what other people think if you enjoy it, and it's fun.

We've all seen expert work ( some on here) and in every day life. So there are benchmarks to measure our skills against everywhere. But at the end of it all, you bought the camera (as I did) to enjoy it.

Try plain backgrounds, ( prime colours), on cloth, held in the hands, outside, in the "urban" juxtiposition setting which is so vogue at times. Just anything you want to do.

And if you like it, that's good enough.:)

6. monkeys bunny

i understand what you are saying and i do enjoy 'messing about' withi things and taking a variety of shots. but then again i also like to know what people think, i have posted on here before and people have pointed out focus floors etc and i wanted to improve on this so i can get the basics and then be able to play around more with the rest. i would like to take shots of me holding the flowers and also of other things like my tattoos etc but i can only afford the equipment i have and dont have 4 arms LOL

I was trying not to make the picture boring, so i thought the dark background of my floor and the dark vase may contrast the bright flowers, i did try them on a white fluffy cushion and rug but the floor was the darkest thing i had & thought dark was better. apat from a cloth would anyone else have any ideas for the picture?

all comments very welcome and i thank you to those who already commented, i do enjoy taking pictures but its all a learning curve for me

i took a picture of some bannanas with the plain background of my kitchen wall (in my profile pics) and this is ok, i think. Maybe i just over think things hummmm

7. cas100uk

Actually looking at the shots again I quite like the top shot. It does have a different feel to normal flower shots and the flowers resting on the floor towards the camera looks quite good. Just remove that blue thing on the left. The second posted shot butted up against the first is spoiling the view a bit. Had a look at your gallery shots and you have got some good ones, keep up the good work. ;-)

8. monkeys bunny

thank you, yes i just noticed that too, its the kids water bowl :eek: i cannot edit it out as do not have a softwear thing on the computer as its so rubbish it cannot cope with having anything else on it, i know, sad isnt it. My husband says its because its got too many pictures on it tehe

[​IMG]

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well they shouldn't be on the C drive for too long. One day you will lose them all. Best to have a separate hard disk and burn sets of them as you go onto DVDs.

Re the pic, I really think you have not come up with an attractive layout and no amount of advice is going to make a lot of difference. I'm sure there are more creative ideas than having them sitting in a vase, nicely lit, but you just have to keep thinking and working.

If you want them on the floor, why not arrange it so it looks like the cat knocked it over, with a pool of water? That at least justifies the floor.

10. cas100uk

Bloody cats...