1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yawr, Nikon VS Fuji!

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by OMGZDAN, May 2, 2007.

1. OMGZDAN

OMGZDAN Member

OK, im kinda a Novice Photographer
    (atm no speciality in photography genre. :])
    And im thinking of upgrading either to a Nikon D40 or Fuji 9600

Yawr, i know Teh Fuji isnt a SLR, but its almost in equvilence to one..

I was thinking that the 9600 would be a better all round camera due to fixed good all round lens, and so on and the Nikon as a good starting SLR, and has the potential upgrade and what not..

P.S If this is in the wrong fourm pwease move it..
    :]

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No this is a valid forum for your question.

I would recommend the D40, it may not have the all purpose lens but it has much greater flexibility, higher image quality, much better viewfinder, less shutter lag and an upgrade path.

With the Fuji if you want to upgrade you start again, with the Nikon you simply get what you need, if you want a different body your lenses still work and the range of lenses is bigger than you will want for many years.

Ultimately the Nikon is cheaper because of that upgrade path.

3. OMGZDAN

OMGZDAN Member

yay, would you recomend sticking with the standard 18mm-55mm? or get something with that too?
    like 55mm-200mm or something...

Another draw back is my lack of cash, thats why Fuji was primary in my mind..
    :/
    I found the 9600 for £240 D40 stadard is like £300ish..with just the 18-55..
    :/

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with the 18-55 as a starter you can get a 55-200 later when funds permit. Don't run before you can walk.

5. OMGZDAN

OMGZDAN Member

Im in a wheelchair, i cant run.. Nah, im just used to zoooom
    :]

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I have a Fuji S9500, the predecessor to the S9600 & very similar. It's a great bridge camera, with lots of features that make it very flexible, but it's definitely NOT a DSLR. Higher ISO noise levels and purple fringing are the main areas where the small (though larger than most compacts) sensor makes its presence felt. It's probably as close to a DSLR as you can get with a compact, but there is a big difference.

If you're on a tight budget, want maximum flexibility, and acknowlege you won't be getting the best quality in all situations, the Fuji is a good bet. You may find yourself wanting to sell it and get a Nikon in a year or two, but you'll have learned a lot.

If you want to get started with a system that will grow in capabilites as you add lenses, flash, etc, then go for the Nikon.

7. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

How about a DSLR with a superzoom?

I had a Sigma 28-300mm and although it wasn't the absolute last word in optical quality it had it's good points.

Whilst a 28-300 might not be wide enough on a Nikon D40 there are a few lenses in the 17-200 range. There's even a 17-250 (might be 18-250, something like that.)

Gotta be an alternative to think about.