1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xpan and loading Infrared film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by rephoto, Jun 19, 2006.

1. rephoto

rephoto Well-Known Member

My xpan resolutely refuses to let me load infrared film Has anyone else experienced similar difficulties with this, and does anyone have any tips to offer? Am becoming unbelievably frustrated with this.

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

:D

How can it not let you load IR film? Surely you just open the back and put the film in as per normal (well in pitch darkness really I guess)....

Or do you mean it uses an IR counter mechanism in which case AFAIK you're stuffed as these tend to rather fog the film.......

3. rephoto

rephoto Well-Known Member

You'd think it would be eassy wouldn't you!

It seems to be quite a common problem with thinner emulsions. The take up spool isn't kicking into action. I was wondering if anyone had worked out the knack to doing it successfully

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Ah right..........it's one of those self loading line-it-up-with-the-mark systems I guess and the film's too thin to ratchet on the sprockets.

Hmmm......Might it be possible to somehow sellotape the leader to the take up spool so the film is pulled through. One caveat I can foresee even doing this (other than the tape not holding) is that your problem suggests that the film doesn't engage with the drive/counter sprockets which could lead to erratic winding and frame counting/alignment.

You might like to try asking or searching on this forum as well.