1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Xi'An - lady in the lane

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by EddieR, Jun 11, 2018.

1. EddieR

EddieR Well-Known Member

I recently had the pleasure of visiting China including a trip to the ancient capital Xi'An.

Walking along a street market on a wet evening the lady with the umbrella (one of many) turned a corner and headed down this lane which was emblazoned in pink light. I didn't notice the man standing on the left until I was reviewing the photo.

Any constructive criticism welcomed
    Eddie

[​IMG]xi'an-1010602 by E ................., on Flickr

AndyTake2 likes this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Eddie,

For me, people retreating very seldom work, and you have done the picture no favours with the caption drawing attention the the umbrella-bearer: "man in doorway, watching" sums up the principal interest of the picture much more. Have you considered filling the shadows a bit and perhaps indulging in a little dodging and burning to make him the centre of attention?

Cheers,

R.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Like it. Kind of thing I like to do. Think you can lose the left side and square it up.

EddieR likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I like this, great colours, moody etc. Shame about the bikes front left and the object on the left that she is walking towards, but somethings you can't really avoid I guess.

I took some similar ones in China and Japan but for one reason or another I was never really happy with.

5. Roger Hicks

The bicycles are for me an important part of the story.

Cheers,

R.

6. EddieR

EddieR Well-Known Member

Thanks Roger, I'll have a look at bringing the man more into the story. As I mentioned, he wasn't my original focus given the circumstances but he does help to add and extra dimension.

7. EddieR

EddieR Well-Known Member

Bicycles are impossible to avoid and say 'China' almost as much as the Chinese sign.

8. EddieR

EddieR Well-Known Member

Thanks Dream Police, The bicycle clutter in the streets is unavoidable and to me are therefore a part of the scenery. I had hoped that as they were mainly in the shadows they didn't detract too much.

9. Roger Hicks

Dear Eddie,

That's my view too. I've only ever been there once, 8-10 years ago, and although I don't like their government I did meet many nice (if often under-informed) individuals and get some good pictures. Then again, I find that I can often get good pics of places I dislike, such as Turkey, while struggling to get pics of places I do like such as Hungary; though I've not been back to Hungary since the Jobbik Jobbies came to power.

Cheers,

R.

10. EddieR

EddieR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. Taken on board the comments to try to bring the man on the left out of the shadows and cropped to take away some dead space and to again focus on the man.

[​IMG]xi'an edit-1010602 by E ................., on Flickr

dream_police likes this.
  11. Roger Hicks

Dear Eddie,

I'm not sure it is "dead space". Negotiating your way past bicycles like that is, as you said earlier, quintessentially Chinese. Lightening the guy's face works well for me, though.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    EddieR likes this.
  12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Edit lifts it for me by putting the people centre stage so to speak without losing the essential clutter.

:cool:

EddieR likes this.
  13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yep really like it now.

EddieR likes this.
  14. EddieR

EddieR Well-Known Member

It's is certainly a place of great contrasts, even the centre of Beijing where the hutong lanes rub shoulders with glossy shopping malls and historic palaces. On the whole we found people to be friendly and helpful as far as the language barrier allowed. I must say, having been to a few places, I've never felt quite so foreign as I did in China. I'm sure 10 years ago you were even more of a novelty but being stared at in the street was unusual but I always felt safe, even at night up dark alleys!
    Regards
    Eddie

15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That’s better for me, nice one.