1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xi lens for 7000i?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by rockman, Sep 6, 2005.

1. rockman

rockman Member

Help please. I have a Dynax 7000i body and have been given a Minolta AF 28-80 zoom xi lens. The lens fits to the body o.k. and focuses but the zoom doesn't work. Are these lenses compatible with the body? Also there is a button on the side of the lens that I don't know about. Any info gratefully received.

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Hi,

I've done a bit of checking and I'm pretty certain that the xi lenses were designed to be used by the later 7xi camera to achieve the auto zoom capability, the button you mention is most likely the macro switch which allows the lens to focus much closer than in normal zoom mode to give semi macro capability, I have a 35 -70 f/4 zoom which has a similar type of function.
    I'm afraid that your camera lens combination is not going to be very workable, I'd suggest that you trade your xi lens in against any other (non xi) lens such as a 28 -80 there are different versions to chose from or any zoom in the 24 - 135 range where there are a total of 22 available lenses (non xi) potentially available to chose from, for info about minolta lenses <span style="color:red"> Check Here </span>
    Hope this helps

3. rockman

rockman Member

Thanks for that info. It's true then, what they say? For Minolta ask RonM. :D

4. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Only partly, for really old Minolta gear I'd admit to GeoffC (Canonball) being the expert there and for early AF area I'd reckon that Fen our Moderator knows more, more recent gear then I'm probably as knowledgeable as most :)

5. GeoffC

GeoffC Well-Known Member

That's very true. I've always said that what Ron doesn't know about Minolta isn't worth knowing! :)

But, some peasants would say that half of what he does know isn't worth knowing either! ;)

6. GeoffC

GeoffC Well-Known Member

I think all of the xi series cameras support the power zoom function, Ron.

I once had a 3xi with one of the power zoom lenses, and if I remember correctly, the switch on the lens is to control the power zoom itself. The lens certainly wasn't compatible with my other AF Minoltas.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm pretty sure you're right, Geoff. At the time, I was considering the 7xi, as well as the Nikon F601 and Canon EOS 100, and spent hours in camera shops trying them all - I got to know the Nikon and Canon inside out, but the Minolta was always too complicated for me, and I hated the power zooms.

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Geoff, I don't think Nick would classify himself as
    Especially as you nicked his alteration of your original statement

and as I replied

all taken from http://www.amateurphotographer.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Minolta&Number=178553

9. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Geoff, you're right abought the xi series cameras, but, according to my research the button/switch on the 28 - 80 xi zoom would appear to be for Macro purposes

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That was a good thread, actually - some decent info, AND a couple of good jokes at your expense, Ron! ;)

Thank goodness Konica Minolta have abandoned some of those gimmicks - power zooms and expansion cards. I wonder what the new Sony/KM dSLR will be like - they're apparantly trying to make "the Lexus of cameras", which I trust doesn't mean it'll be big, ugly and incredibly boring! ;)

11. GeoffC

GeoffC Well-Known Member

maybe not Ron, but I would! ;)

I mean, he even allows Nikons in the house! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I have to keep the doors open somehow! ;)

13. GeoffC

GeoffC Well-Known Member

:D :D

14. rockman

rockman Member

Thanks for all the replies, the helpful ones and the humour. I have now got a minolta 28-80 "ordinary" AF lens. And if its any use, I know about gas fires ;)