1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 23mm curious about it....

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Scphoto, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Possibly going to drop a bit of money on a Fuji X Pro 2 and noticed a kit with the XF 23mm f/2 lens - so any Fuji users got it? If so is it a good standard walkaround lens?

Actually I mentioned kit, but it's probably cheaper (due to staff discounts - and £380 Cash back) to get both separately from John Lewis

https://www.johnlewis.com/fujifilm-xf23mm-f2-r-wr-lens/p3103388?colour=Black

Or if you want to twist my arm maybe convince me other lenses might be better! (looking at some of the cash back deals I'm tempted with some others)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The little 27mm is very good and compact, I did consider buying a 23mm f2 subsequently but held off (my 27mm came as part of a package), primarily because the 18-55 is so good and not a lot bulkier than the 23mm. I do have a 50mm f2, I only take it out when I think I will need it's speed, again down to that 18-55.

3. Scphoto

Mmmm, thanks for that. I notice the 23mm isn't part of the cash back deal (apart from the one in the kit)

The 27mm gets £90 (double cash back until 1st Jan) - although it's £190 cash back on the 18-55. My leaning was towards the camera and possibly a couple of primes. I might just get the XF18-55mm as most people with it appear to be happy.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

When I first bought Fuji I obtained a bargain X-Pro1 kit that came with the 18mm f2 and the 27mm f2.8. I subsequently bought an 18-55 on Ebay that was minus the hood, I paid less than £200 and then got a used hood for a few quid. I had always intended to sell the 18mm f2 and eventually did so, and bought a Samyang 16mm f2 in it's place. I added a used 35mm f1.4 in a good deal from the local LCE, primarily for use in low light. Much later a 50mm f2, which is excellent. The reality is that the 18-55 is so good that I only take the primes out when I think I am likely to need them. This lens can produce a good sharp A3 print in low light at ISO 1600 or 3200. It really is that good, this is not like a DSLR kit lens, it is as good or better than the upmarket f2.8 standard zooms for these, the drop to f4 keeping it compact.

Scphoto likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The crop factor is 1.5 so the 23 has the fov of a 35 mm on full frame.

I'm used to a 24-105 on my Canon, equivalent to a 16-70, and for that reason I notice the "ends" of the Fuji 18-55 but otherwise the quality is good and it is quite compact. I paired it with the 10-24 and 55-200. Except for the 10 mm at 10-12 mm which I find a bit unrealistic, but have nothing to compare with, the results compare well with Canon FF and my 'L ' glass.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I find the same with my Nikon FF. There are certain circumstances where the DSLR is preferable, it's down to the speed of operation so far as I am concerned. Fuji have certainly done a great job in terms of the lenses and the sensors/processing.

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Stephen,

XF 23/2 is a cracking lens and, FWIW, since its inception, probably the most popular lens we have, sales wise :). As well, we've had a good number of
    customers downsize from the 23/1.4 to the 23/2 due to a number of reasons,including, "smaller size, weatherproofing and incredibly sharp" :)

Cheers,

Jack

8. Scphoto

Thanks for the info. I'm coming from FF canon so expecting a drop in the wide end (especially as my main walkabout lens is a 24-70), but recently i've been using my medium format camera where the range is 55-90 and i've coped with that.

Might be tempted to pickup the 23mm later on in the year, just get started with the 18-55 first.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  9. Done_rundleCams

Both lenses, Stephen, are crackers :) am, the 18-55 is much easier to carry around compared to the 16-55/2.8 :).

Cheers,
    Jack

10. Scphoto

Thanks Jack.

I've opted for the 18-55. I might look a few primes in the future - but the general consensus is the 18-55 is decent so I'll be happy with that. £190 cash back at the moment also helps (along with £380 cash back on the X Pro 2!).

Just need to part with a collection of my EOS stuff now now there's a nearly 2k dent in my savings!

11. Scphoto

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You will be.

13. Done_rundleCams

Hi Stephen,

Wow, that's a nice savings on the Fuji kit :) and you should be able to flog your EOS kit and, if you've
    got the EF 24-70/2.8 II, you should definitely be able to make a dent ...

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Canon-EF-24-70mm-2.8-L-USM-MK2_199027.html

and, if you've got the version one, a bit of a smaller dent

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lenses/canon-ef-24-70mm-f-2.8-l-usm-lens/1279175554

All the best in flogging your EOS and looking forward to seeing some pics from your Fuji kit :)

Cheers,

Jack

14. Scphoto

Fortunately it's the newer version, although the trade in prices seem to effected by the Ebay prices. (£830 offered for the 24-70!)

That said I only need to recover £1359.32 for the cost of the new kit. The 24-70 will get a fair wedge of that. Might be tempted to keep some of my lenses for any future film EOS bodies I buy. I'm not prepared to part with my old EF15mm fisheye, 135mm f/2 or 200 f/2.8 just yet!

Things like my 100mm macro, 300mm and speedlites probably will go to the Part EX people (although might ring my local LCE tomorrow)

15. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I would hang on to the Canon gear just in case. I have used Canon for years and bought a second hand Fuji in the last month. For me I will need both systems, your needs are no doubt different.

16. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Do you not have these cash back offers in Canada Jack? Different pricing structure perhaps.

Off topic question, but how is the old XF 18mm f2.0 rated?

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I had one and I sold it, not due to poor performance, but simply because I never used it, I always took the 18-55. I did try it, but the zoom is so good I didn't really bother with it. I bought a Samyang 16mm f2 instead, as I wanted something with a slightly wider angle. These cameras are great for using other makers lenses with an adaptor as well.

Bazarchie and Done_rundleCams like this.
  18. Scphoto

I know what you are saying, but the reality is I've used my Eos digital once this year - and that was the other week for winter shots I wanted to upload fast.

Bazarchie and Done_rundleCams like this.
  19. Done_rundleCams

Hi Steve,

Wow, that's a decent trade in value for the 24-70 .... over here, we would give 1/2 of what we would sell it for which be around £600 :eek: FWIW, we're
    selling a second hand Canon 15/2.8 FE for about (the equivalent of) £390 and sold a Canon 135/2 for around (the equivalent of) £600 about a year ago.

Like a mate of mine, he's sold a lot of his Canon kit but his 200/2.8 will never get sold ;) and, obviously, if you can flog it/them privately you'll get
    more dosh but will have to deal with folks who contact you :)

Cheers,

Jack

20. Done_rundleCams

We're having some rebates on some of the camera's and lenses but our "rebates" don't
    seem as high as the UK's :eek:

As for the XF18/2, it, generally, a bit of a bad rap and a mate/customer of mine got one a with, either,
    his second XE-2 or his first XT-1 for a screaming deal and figured he would sell it and get some
    money for it. However, when he picked it up, he and his wife went away on a long weekend
    holiday and never took the lens off the camera and was really happy with the pics from it and
    has kept it simply because the he's really happy with the images :). As well, as being sharp,
    it's relatively small and is a nice walk around lens --- kind of like Ricoh GR ;) -- and if you don't
    fancy purchasing a new one there's a few second hand ones at LCE ....

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/FujiFilm-XF-18mm-f/2-R-*Boxed*_199303.html

Personally, I pop one on your camera in your local shop and blast off some shots :)

Cheers,

Jack

Bazarchie likes this.