1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xe4

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Mark101, Jun 11, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Since giving my Panasonic GX8 to SWMBO, I've really been missing a rangefinder style camera. Actually she did quite well and acquired a couple of decent lenses, flash, and the promise of a 60mm Macro lens for bee photography for her July birthday. Anyway, after selling my entire Canon kit to MPB and investing in an XT4, the weight of which I can handle with my defective arm, I do miss the allure of a rangefinder style box, something for holidays and street work. I've pondered the Canon X 5 mkii with its smaller sensor and built in zoom lens, but I'm constantly drawn to the Fuji XE4 on which I can use my current Fuji X line up of lenses. Time will tell

peterba likes this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes, I like the rangefinder-style, Mark. I have no knowledge of the x-E4, but I did own an x-E1 for several years. I would imagine that the x-E4 is a very considerable refinement of that camera.

I liked the x-E1 very much. My only 'mini-gripe' was that the viewfinder was rather like looking through a tunnel! I've also seen other people's comments in similar vein, so I'd guess that Fuji will have improved that aspect, since they do seem fairly responsive to consumer opinion. Viewfinder complaints aside, it was an excellent camera.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion, should you decide to get one..... or even if you just try one out (if you're lucky enough to have a camera shop within sensible distance, that is).

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have an X-E3. It's my first choice when I am needing a camera to carry about, it's far lighter than my X-T3 and the IQ is much the same, the viewfinder is not as good though. Coupled with the 18-55 it's a good quality light in weight combination, even adding the 55-200 to the bag it's still manageable, or if your preference is a couple of primes an X-EX is still a good option performance and weight wise.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have an X-E2 and as Peter said the X-E4 should be more accomplished in every way. It was my first mirrorless camera and I didn't much like it but I picked it up again the other day and I think I must now be more used to the ELV experience because it was OK. I've now got a X100V too for something smaller. My X-E2 wouldn't focus reliably with the pancake lens - if it had then I'd probably use that. The X-E2 is the only camera people have stopped and asked me what it was, expecting "film" as an answer. It is silver so maybe that is less usual to see as well as the range-finder style. Cameras have been all black for a while.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I use Panasonic's equivalent, a silver GX7, and treasure the opposite reaction: people ignore me when I'm taking pictures, because I can't be a "proper" photographer if I'm using an old camera like that! :)

Camera Panasonic GX7 with 12-32 on clothes pole TZ70 P1030602.jpg

zx9r likes this.
  6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Remember when the GX7 came out, bit of a game changer for many and still a desirable camera. Must admit, I still would like a s/h GX8. The issue with the GX9 is that it's not weather sealed. Every time my Wife picks up the GX8 she smiles and says, 'You want this camera back don't you'.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The deal breaker for me is that the GX8 swaps the tilting screen for an articulated screen. :(

The tilting screen on the GX7 is one of the best features for me.