1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XE2S in camera settings

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by novice21, Aug 19, 2018.

1. novice21

novice21 Active Member

Anyone any advice on what my custom settings / Q menu should be, going on holiday soon so will be shooting in bright conditions and don't want to end up with washed out images, have messed with the settings several times and I am now more confused, any help appreciated.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think I'd be tempted to either set it to Av, this lets you set the aperture, but controls the shutter speed, or simply leave it on auto everything, including ISO.

S

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Custom settings are all about setting the camera up in the way you prefer. Avoiding washed out pictures means not overexposing and, in turn, that means understanding the principles of exposure. I tend to use my XE2 on Av and choose the aperture I want, set the ISO to base value (200 for the XE2) providing the exposure time is suitable for handholding. I use the evaluative metering. I find I do often use exposure compensation with this combination, more often with dark than bright scenes. You can configure the viewfinder to simulate the effect off exposure settings, e.g you can see it darken as you apply negative exposure compensation. Things to watch out for if the button layout on the XE2s is similar include knocking the focusing mode switch (single shot, continuous, manual), the Aperture switch on tbe lens and the exposure compensation dial.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Novice,

Depending how much experience you have in photography (with interchangeable lens cameras or compact cameras with manual (exposure) controls,
    I would use the three A's :). Put your shutter speed dial to "A", then, put the Lens Aperture on "A" and, then, go into the menu and choose one
    of the Auto ISO settings -- perhaps between 200-1600 -- and, probably, put the metering (Photometry) on the Multi Pattern setting :).

Hopefully, this should get you through you're holiday and, then, upon your return, try and sus out an entry level photography course
    and learn the numbers (shutter speeds, apertures, ISOs, etc ....) .

FWIW, this is my advice to customers/folks who are just getting into photography and going on a holiday very close afterwards :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...and very sensible advice it is too.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. novice21

novice21 Active Member

Half way through holiday and camera now showing Card not initialised, have taken lots of photos without any problems, removed some from the card at start via wi fi and all were ok, have removed the card and gave it a clean but still the same, am i correct in saying that now i will have to format card and lose all images but will i be able to tell if its going to happen again....Cheers for any advice.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Buy another card. Keep the problem card until you get home and can access a computer. Format the new card in the camera before using it. If you format the old card you will lose all the images and it still might not work. Keep your options open.

Terrywoodenpic and peterba like this.
  8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree with PeteRob - buy another card. If you format the card, you'll lose any images that might still be on the card. If there are any images on it, they can (potentially, at least) be retrieved using an appropriate recovery utility program. Moreover, using the current card wouldn't inspire confidence, for the remainder of your holiday.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.