1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XD7 winding mechanism

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Mojo_66, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Just got a Minolta XD7 off ebay and I'm not sure if it has a problem with the wind on mechanism or not. When I load the film it winds on for a frame, I release the shutter, then it seems to stop winding. The lever can be operated but the film won't wind. However, when I close the camera back and wind on after a few strokes the rewind crank starts turning and the film safe load indicator seems to work ok. Is this normal? The seller's offered a refund but obviously I'd like to keep the camera if it works.

2. Mr_Geoff

Mr_Geoff Well-Known Member

Two things - apologies if you've already checked.
    1) does the rewind button on the base click back into place smoothly or is it sticking?
    2) are you sure the film leader is properly catching on the take-up spool?
    I've had both problems on my XD (japanese model of XD-7), esp. on the take-up spool where the 'tooth' is a little worn.
    It's a lovely camera, I wouldn't want to send it back either!

3. Mojo_66

I checked both of them, all seemed fine. I put a cheap print film through it and took it out this morning and dropped the film off at the one hour place, I'll pick it up after and see what it's like. It is a great camera to use though, I like the way you can see the shutter speed and aperture through the viewfinder.

4. Mr_Geoff

Mr_Geoff Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed then.....

5. Mojo_66

Just picked it up, all seems fine, nice camera and nice sharp lens (50mm 1.7). Just a weird loading system! Most cameras I've had will run the film through whether the back's closed or not.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Probably a safety feature to prevent inadvertent fogging if the back is not closed properly. Mind how you could wind through a whole film or even a bit of one with the back not properly shut beats me......perhaps they had a catch that can partially lock.

When loading a film into a manual camera I normally make sure it's well wound round the take up spool using the spool's manual wind option (usually a disc with a milled edge at the top or bottom of said spool) until I'm confident the film leader isn't going to pop off the spool. I then close the back and gently turn the rewind crank until it just starts to resist. I find then as soon as you use the wind lever the rewind crank turns proving that the film is winding on...

:cool:

7. Mojo_66

Yup! Usually the sort of thing I do too, just to make sure.

8. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

^^WHS^^