1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

XC 55-230 or XF 55-200

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Richard Thacker, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Hi Guys, Any view on the relative optics of these lenses? I’m looking to buy one or the other used. I can afford either but only want to pay more if it’s worth it.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The 55-200 is better optically and notably better constructed. I considered both some years ago and bought the 55-200 (used). Check the test reports on Optical Limits!

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I got the 50-230, because it's what I could afford. Not had much chance to use it, but results of the test I did were pretty good.

How often will you be using it? VFM and all that.

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Most serious comparisons that have done, show that the xc 50-230 is optically very similar to the xf 55-200.
    It gains a little in its focal range but has a more limited max aperture.
    It is no where near as classy a build. but is far from shoddy.
    However the results are way better than the price would suggest.
    Mine spends most of its life in the bag but when used it is excellent.
    Shown this before but it is from the other side of the high street and is certainly what you might expect from it.
    TXE4432-3XCweb.jpg

_TXE4510X copy deblur.JPG

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

From what I understand the above comments are about right. The XC is less robust but respectable. I have the XF and it works well. Depends how you treat your kit really. I don’t go out of the way to break things but I don’t wrap everything in cotton wool and cuddle it.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

The Xf has the advantage of an aperture ring, which feels more natural than using the camera's little wheels, for me at any rate.

S

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

25 years ago I might have agreed with you but buying a Nikon F5 revised my opinion. I wouldn't go back to using an aperture ring now.

ChrisNewman likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It’s not a proper aperture ring. I get frustrated having to check what aperture is selected because the rings in all 3 of my Fuji lenses are easy to move by accident. A conventional ring, markings and firm click stops, would make more sense. I’m used to setting aperture with a control wheel on my Canons where what is selected stays selected.