1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X30 Power Save / High Performance

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by RovingMike, Jan 24, 2015.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Just decided to forgive Fuji the eccentricity of the focus and exposure of X10 and get the X30. He's the first problem: the startup menu offers you Power Save or High Performance options and I left it on power save. Now I want to change to High Perf to get the faster focus, there does not seem to be anywhere in the menus to do that. Any ideas?

2. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I don't own the X30 but I've just has a look at the menu on my X-T1 and found it under Set-Up 2, (blue icon with a 'spanner').

My X-T1 uses the NP-W126 battery, it does get through them, so I've bought a few spares and just use the features and expect to change a battery when I'm out.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yep thanks, had to be there somewhere. I only went into the top one in the power management section, doh!

4. macjackson

macjackson Member

What do you think of the x30. I am considering buying one but am unsure about the sensor size. Is it good for landscapes? My experience of compacts with the smaller sensor is that they are not very good with detail. The 2.3 sensor should help this but I am wondering if I should go to micro 4/3 or bigger. I also use macro a lot, so close focus is more limited the bigger the sensor.

5. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

This is a 'bump' for the thread, as I'm also considering getting one of those - RovingMike, are you happy with it? macjackson, have you bought one, and are you happy with it, of if you didn't buy one, what made you change your mind?

Thanks in advance, a reply before the holiday season would be much appreciated :)

6. macjackson

macjackson Member

Yes, I have purchased an X30. I didn't want a large camera so my choice was either a csc or the X30. My main wish was for a viewfinder and a tilting screen. I would prefer a full articulating screen but that is not provided by anyone.
    i have been using the X30 for one week. As with any modern decent camera, I am not yet convercent with the operation of the camera, but I am getting there. Fuji don't give detailed instructions, just what each button does.
    So far so good. The different film simulations don't look that different to me but I think that the subject will make a difference. I need to go out with a tripod and try all the options in the same light.
    I like the handling and the focus is very, very fast.
    I have a question answered in AP this week. I had already purchased the camera though.
    Currently I do not regret buying the X30.
    cheers Mac

7. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mac, appreciate the detailed and fast response.

I totally agree, I'd love a fully articulated screen, I don't understand why serious camera manufacturers like Fuji look down on the feature and treat it as 'useful only for selfie-obsssed non-serious photographers' (I've seen discussions on the topic with pretty much this conclusion).

So, like you, I have to compromise, and I was even contemplating a bridge camera, just to have this feature! Also, I'm not sure I could get used to turning the camera on by turning the lens barrel... In short, I'm still short-listing :)

Thanks again!

8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Switching on the X30 by turning the lens-barrel ... When I tried one, it felt 'Odd' reminding me of trying the OM1 when I owned at that time a Canon AE-1.

9. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

:) I've not handled either of those, but I think I get the point.

The X30 doesn't strike me as easy to handle with just one hand (I usually have something in the other, or have to hold on to something while stretching upwards for a high viewpoint above crowds etc.).

I had a Coolpix P7700 (until last week when I forgot my bag on the Tube), and I keep thinking that I'd like a camera with those physical features plus the Fuji sensor, glass and colours... Maybe we should start a petition? :)