1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x10 Focus problems

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by RovingMike, Jul 4, 2014.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I have seen a lot in other places about the focus problems of the x10, but nowhere a clear fix. Waiting for Fuji to reply, but doing the Bleeding London project, I have neither time nor temper to trudge all the way back to re-do soft shots, so at the moment the old LX3 is doing the work (and very well I might add).
    I have seen stuff about contrast problems and giving it time to focus (really, 25 years into the AF era you have to give it time?) but I need a fix or the machine is no good to me, excellent though the results can be. Any firmware fix you know of, can't see any on the Fuji site? Far as I can see it struggles in horizontal and in upright you'd better be fully wide, because it isn't even going to try.

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Sounds to me that you have a problem with the camera.
    I have both an X10 and an X20. the X20 is more or less always instant focussing but then it has a hybrid sensor. The X10 is also very fast in just about every daylight situation and very rarely hunts even in low contrast. I certainly never have to "Wait".

3. RovingMike

Thanks it conforms to what others have said, just a percentage of failures, but enough to really irritate me. I have to go back to Sutton to do one street it completely failed on. Shutter speed was 1/400 so it is not that. Just never focused at all. Also getting occasional white out over exposures too.
    But Fuji, having sent an automatic acknowledgement 10 days ago, have not even bothered to reply.

4. RovingMike

Really having a nightmare with this camera and Fuji have completely ignored my complaint. Not only does the AF fail with great regularity (a very widely complained about problem), but it is very prone to AE failures too. Anyone spot what I might be doing wrong with this? All exif should be attached https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3897/14449992470_0975b627dc_c.jpg

Previous shot in same light on AP @f9 was perfect. This is happening every 20 shots or so. Can't take it back, it was an award.

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Mike,

Guess you've tried repeated re-sets to factory default, not just one then a test of the camera? Sounds like some messages are not getting through. Computers are strange and contrary critters at times.

Only other suggestion I have is to get hold of names of 1. Fuji S-E UK sales rep and 2. Fuji UK MD and write Personal, Your Eyes Only letters explaining situation. Pain to do but it tends to get noticed.

Cheers,
    Oly

6. RovingMike

Thanks Oly, I'll try the reset and see what happens. After that, yes, it's letters to the MD time. But I think they have lost me as an X-T1 customer to replace my old SLR. Thinking far more about the Olympus E-M1 now.

7. RovingMike

So called Fuji and they are not up to June 29 yet in answering emails. Guy said they have no firmware fixes for my problems, so I will have to send it in and pay for any repairs. Have ordered the Oly OMD E-M1 rather than the Fuji X-T1.

8. RovingMike

Latest is I did the factory reset and the AE problem seems to have gone away, but the sudden and unpredictable AF failures are still plaguing me. Since most are good, I'm sure they are going to say tough, that's what you bought, but will be sending it off anyway.
    Meanwhile my faithful Lumix LX3 gets it right every time. With the new Oly E-M1 and the LX3, I can't see the X10 getting a lot more use. It is definitely no SLR replacement and it isn't that pocketable either. Not sure what X10/20 are in fact.