1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Pro1 eyesight correction puzzle - utterly baffled.

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Footloose, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I have an X-Pro1, and my first issue was sourcing the viewfinder dioptre lens I needed. At one time, most dealers and opticians stocked these, but sadly that isn't the case anymore. However I digress. I eventually got the lens i needed, but have since then encountered another puzzling issue, which is that now I am using this correction lens, the electronic preview image is lovely and sharp, BUT the normal viewfinder, remains unsharp. Quite how, one form of the viewfinder is Ok, whilst the other isn't, and if I change over the dioptre lenses so that the conventional viewfinder, is sharp, BUT the electronic version then isn't, would seem to indicate that some kind of miss-match is going on regarding what the default dioptre setting is for the conventional, and electronic display. I can only presume, that one of these, eg the electronic version,is internally adjustable in some way, or, your eye focusses differently on each type of display. Since I invariably have the electronic display switched on, it's not causing me a problem ..... But when I do eventually sell this camera, the next purchaser is going to encounter the same problem and return it as 'faulty'. I suppose I need to phone up Fuji, and ask them what the hell is going on, and can this be rectified. Has anyone else encountered this strange effect, or/and got it sorted out?

I'll get back with whatever feedback i get from Fuji, so that IF others have encountered the same thing, and are told 'something' that turns out to be pretty erroneous, they can then cite this thread as ammunition for getting them to actually sort the issue out.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Despite it being reviewed as one of the best ELV I don't get on with the ELV on my xE-2 but this thread made me look at the dioptre adjustment. It has no zero detente, is ever so easily moved and I cannot see any position markers. It was at one end of its travel so it must have got knocked. Having diopter adjustment saves messing with supplementary lenses but is pointless if it doesn't stick at the setting you choose. I'll have to find some white paint.

I don't know how an optical and electronic system are combined. It might be that due to your specific prescription that differences are apparent to you only.

3. Footloose

I thought I'd try and explain better exactly what is happening, so here goes:

When anyone looks through the viewfinder of this camera you can toggle between the different viewing modes via the 'View Mode' button; these modes are:
    [a] the 'conventional' viewfinder mode, in which case the electronic viewfinder doesn't work at all

Electronic viewfinder mode - remains ON.
    or
    [c] the third mode, which only activates the electronic viewfinder when you put your eye, up to the eye-piece ... acts as a battery power-saver.

I'm using my X-Pro1 in [c]. The dioptre lens I have fitted, gives me a nice sharp image of the Electronic viewfinder display .... But, if the 'View mode' button gets pressed and switched over to mode [a], what I see through the viewfinder, is out of focus, because the dioptre lens I have fitted, is 'wrong' for that mode!

As a consequence, at the moment, IF at some point I decided not to use the electronic viewfinder, (Highly unlikely!) I would have to get yet another set of dioptre lenses, to enable me to see clearly what I am looking at, through the 'conventional' viewfinder.

4. Footloose

Update: At long last, I've managed to sort this issue out; first of all, the advice/correction value advised by my optician, turned out to be incorrect; secondly, I managed to discover a photographer locally who has a complete set of dioptre adjustment glasses, (because he collects them for a number of different camera manufacturers - I think he has about 60+ of them! - we then tried them out and found that I actually needed a +1 rather than the +4 the optician said I needed!

Eventually bought the Fuji version as the metal rings around these, are 'rubber' coated, so will not end up scratching my glasses in us.

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

I have not got a Fuji camera but when I used to have a eyesight correction lens it was always a 1.5+. Nowadays my camera can be adjusted for my eyesight, thank god!

6. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Sorry I just checked my eyesight correction lenses they are......+1.0 D (should have gone to specsavers)