1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-30 Shortcomings?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by BOB-R, Jul 29, 2015.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

And I got 2mm more off the filter. The Polaroid super slim HC MC UV filter seems to do the job just fine. Sorted I hope.

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

That is excellen news.
    My new slim polariser will not arrive till next week so here's hoping.

3. RovingMike

For anyone in need, the Polaroid UV is only 2mm wide.

4. Blind Pugh

Blind Pugh Well-Known Member

Hi All,

This thread has been a very interesting read for me. I used an X20 for a year and was very satisfied with it. I moved over to the x20 because of the same reason as the OP.
    I am thinking of getting an x30 because of the advantages of the manual focus ring and also the viewfinder.
    Is there an improvement in lattiude on the X30 raw files over the x20, also after reading the AP review I am still struggling with how they arrived at a dynamic range of 13.92 EV for iso 100 my Sony A58 and Lumix GF6 cannot achieve this even though they have larger sensors.........am i missing something here ?.

Any insight on this very welcome!.
    Cheers Ian.

5. Terrywoodenpic

The dynamic range question is interesting because it seems no one has come up with a way of measuring the dynamic range of an Xtrans sensor that is compatible with results from a Bayer type sensor.
    It is not that either set of figures are wrong, they simply don't relate.

All Fuji X cameras that are fitted with Xtrans arrays seem to punch above their weight. This would seem to be the case in peoples actual experience, even if it might be hard to prove.
    However Adobe have struggled with thier raw processor to get the very best out of them. So there might be even more to come.

The important question might be, do you like what you see, rather than trying to measure it.... so far people seem to be voting with their wallets.

6. Blind Pugh

Thanks for the reply Terrywoodenpic, I don't recall anyone a AP offering an explanation about the dynamic range results ( I could be wrong ).
    I do agree with you about liking what you see.
    I think I will be opening my wallet for the x30 !

Cheers Ian.

7. Terrywoodenpic

I recall one of the AP staff commenting on it in the past few months in answer to a similar question. And I have seen the subject covered elsewhere In regard to DXO figures.
    I suspect that there will be a factor we will be able to apply in the future, that will bring the results into line with each other. At the moment we seem to be comparing crunchy apples with juicy pears.

8. RovingMike

Don't think you will regret it. I'm certainly not getting the exposure and focus failures I had with x10. For the sensor size it does well. I had over 100 travel shots accepted by my library last month.

9. Blind Pugh

Thanks Mike and Terrywoodenpic for your replies.

Just to say that in regard to dynamic range figures printed, I would find it useful if there was a way to indicate how many stops latitude there was to play with in the shadows and highlights for each individual camera sensor in Raw.

Cheers,
    Ian.

10. Blind Pugh

Thanks Mike...........love the flickr site , some lovely images .
    Cheers Ian.

11. Blind Pugh

Thanks for the advice everyone who replied to my post.
    I have just purchased the X30 complete with the Fuji lens hood / lens filter and also the Fujifilm leather ever-ready case from London Camera Exchange in Nottingham for £390. I am really chuffed with that!.

Should I still shoot in Raw and Jpeg with the X30?.. has anyone any thoughts on the Jpeg Auto DR setting?. I used to get very good results with that setting on my old X20.
    Cheers Ian.

12. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I used to have a X10 and did get some superb images, however I found the dials on the rear were very easy.....too easy to move without noticing it until it was too late and the image was incorrectly exposed. Usually it was caused by moving the mode from Auto to manual.

I don't always check the rear screen ....a throwback to using my film cameras. (I still do)

I loved using the camera but because of the ease it was to inadvertantly alter the settings, I sold it onand bought a Digital SLR. I would be prepared to buy another, possibly the X30, but would be like to know if anyone else had the same problem before I decide.

13. Terrywoodenpic

As the X30 has all the settings displayed in the viewfinder.
    you are unlikely to overlook something like that. Fortunately they have tightend up the dials, and some buttons you can turn off.

the handeling for me has been greatly improved. I have the X10,X20 and X30.
    The X20 was good the X30 much better still.