1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

X-30 Shortcomings?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by BOB-R, Jul 29, 2015.

1. BOB-R

BOB-R Member

After years of owning various Nikon "pro-sumer" SLR's, backed up by a high spec. Compact, I've finally come to the conclusion that I am getting fed up with lugging around heavy, bulky cameras and lenses. In fact in recent years 85% of my images were captured on a Fuji X-20 which quite frankly, is capable of all that I personally need. However, to justify to myself, the disposal of my SLR kit, I decided to treat myself to the latest X-30, and for those considering such a move, I would make the following observations:

Like the X-20, the X-30 is beautifully made (but now in China), and contrary to some postings, is easy and a pleasure to use. For those considering such a camera, the AP revue covers most things, including image quality etc. but there are a couple of quite important observations missing. Firstly, this camera is supplied with a pathetic apology for a handbook. It comprises 50 odd pages as opposed to 151 with the X-20, and I honestly feel that someone new to these cameras would certainly need to refer to the X-20 version in order to fully acquaint themselves. Much is written about the improved viewfinder and rear monitor, but I didn't find the X-20 lacking in that respect. What I can't find on the X-30 is the option of a grid on the rear screen to aid composition. Nor can you revue and check your images immediately after caption without having to press the replay button.

Finally, having given up my SLR, I decided to treat myself to the very expensive lens hood and clear protective filter. From the sketchy information available, I assumed that this bit of kit would allow me to add further circular polarising and ND filters. The camera lens has a 40mm thread, and from what I established, the hood had a larger thread stated as 52mm, which would allow a variety of third party circular filters to be attached. This is not so!
    There does appear to be a very small amount of thread within the hood, but try as i will, I cannot get my 52mm CP filter to attach to it. Having forked out nearly £80 for this disappointing accessory, I am now trying to source a 40mm step-up ring to allow other filters to be utilised. In conclusion, I feel that a company of Fuji's reputation could provide better information than they do for this camera. For those considering buying one, I would still say that it is a first class, quality camera that in most cases does all that my SLR's have done, without the hassle of lugging one about. After all, the best camera is still the one you have with you, and in recent years that has been my old Fuji X-20.

2. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

You may not need that step-up ring. If the X30 works in the same way as my X10, the front part of the lens hood screws off (not obvious from looking at it) if it's a genuine Fuji hood rather than a copy. Filters can then be attached to the back part of the hood.

This does mean that it's an either/or choice between a polariser and a hood. Always a bind because the light that makes you reach for one means you really need the other. But that's a dilemna that only Pentax SLR users can work around, because Pentax hoods have a removable section that lets you rotate the filter.

3. BOB-R

BOB-R Member

Thanks for your response. The lens hood & protective filter I purchased is genuine Fujifilm product, but I cannot separate the front half of the hood as you suggest. I have however sourced a step-up ring from SRB Photographic

4. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Ah yes - just had a look at the Fuji site and what you have is the LHF-X20, whereas I opted for the LH-X10 which works as I described.

5. BOB-R

BOB-R Member

As I said in my original posting, Fuji could be a lot more helpful and make things a lot less complicated. As the lens on the X10, X20 & X30 are supposedly identical, why make differing lens hoods? I still maintain that the camera is good and has the potential to be even better and mor creative with the addition of various filters. With the step-up ring I can now also use my Cokin P series filters.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I would suggest the lack of a full manual and proper battery charger was a wrong move. Even as an experienced x20 user I had to resort to the online one. To solve the battery charging one, I bought a universal camera battery charger on amazon.
    I do not care to charge a battery in camera... if a disastar is going to happen I do not want it to ruin the camera.

There is indeed a choice of composing grid I have mine set to 3x3.

does the srb adapter fit the 40.? Lens or the hood???

As you say the camera is a joy,,,,, but that does not mean that I do not have a wish list . I would like to be able to fix the exposure with one button and select another to back button focus, I am sure they could sort that in a firmware update.

7. Terrywoodenpic

The X30 does give a very short review of the image immediatly after it has finished processing the image.
    The problem is the same for all cameras with lcd viewfinders. After taking the shot, the camera needs to refresh the eyelevel view finder at once, it can only do this by forgoing the usual chimping time.

As you say, if you must chimp you can press the review button, you can do this at eye level, which gives a far more detailed image than the back screen.

8. BOB-R

BOB-R Member

I'm gradually getting there! I have now found the setting for a brief image review on the rear screen and also to display a grid. (How useful a decent manual would have been).
    SRB Photographic can supply a reasonably priced step-up adaptor that fits the 40mm thread on the lens barrel and steps up to a 49mm thread which will accept a variety of circular filters. The official (expensive) Fujifilm lens hood comes with a clear protective glass filter with a 40mm thread which steps up slightly to accept the hood. Not sure what size that thread is, but I believe that it will only accept the hood and no other accessory. This means that the hood can only be fitted to the lens via the clear filter, and cannot be used with any other attachment. As I've already said, you would think that Fuji could do better than this because the X30 is a superb camera with huge additional potential for serious enthusiasts. It seems odd that we have to resort to helpful tips and advice from other enthusiasts on this forum, rather than get clear information from Fuji.
    Any other helpful observations gratefully accepted, but these issues should have been identified in the AP revue in my opinion.

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Thanks for all this. My own beef has been the lack of ability to use all my old 49mm filters, so will be trying to get that ring. My lens hood does disassemble, but not sure the stump is 49mm.

10. RovingMike

My 3rd party lens hood separates to become a 40-58mm step up, but the big end is male, not female as I guess it needs to be for Cokin rings etc?

11. RovingMike

Received the 40-49 step up, but drawback is you can really only stick one thing on it, or you get vignetting at wide angle. So it is UV or lens hood or Pol, but not two of them. Curses.

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

For me ...
    - Too big
    - No optical viewfinder

13. Terrywoodenpic

I suspect that will rather depend on the wide angle hood that you use,
    some of the old 24mm and 28 mm metal ones are very wide and quite shallow. I would have no problem sanding one down to size if necessary.

14. Terrywoodenpic

The X 30 seems about right for my hands. I have more problems with the controls on smaller cameras.
    I was doubtfull about the view finder till I tried it. I can see considerable improvement in my framing since I got one. The discontinuation is certainly no worse than that from a mirror on a SLR.
    The larger battery and larger flip screen add a little bulk, but both are an improvement over the X10 andX20.

15. RovingMike

No it is the mounts. I have some very wide 49mm hoods. Need a slimline filter, but even then I suspect it won't work.

16. RovingMike

I am over the initial viewfinder issue. The old optical was way off line, but the EVF works well. Much prefer TTL view with all info in the VF.

17. Terrywoodenpic

Tried it today with an ancient rubber foldable hood and an equally ancient thick polariser and got no vignetting at any stop. An old 28 mm Olympus rubber hood did catch one corner at f11.

I have ordered a new multi-coated very thin new polariser, lens cap and a 24mm wide angle metal hood from various ebay sources today. If the hood causes any vignetting I will shave it down till it does not. That will give the maximum protection.
    I will leave the Adapter on the lens and use the 49mm lens cap in future. (even the adapter gives some added protection)

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Still too big, RM. ;) But then so is the GX7! One mustn't grumble ... :D Cheers, Oly

19. RovingMike

In fact I have a rubber hood and can bend it back, it's the mount. But the mount on this hood is a good 8mm deep. Have just raided my old bits and bobs bag in the loft and found a thinner one, that only looks like it catches a bit in the bottom left, which in fact the regular metal one does anyway, without UV and step up on. Will give it a go.

20. RovingMike

The vignette bottom left became a solid rounded corner at f11, so I have sent off for an ultra slim 49mm UV. Think I got 4mm off the hood mount and now I need 2 more off the filter.