1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WX10 compact

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by daft_biker, Apr 21, 2011.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Anybody got one, used one, seen one or even found a hands-on review? Sony WX10.

All I can find is commentary on the spec....and the salesman in the shop I ordered one from said he had a wee shot of one in London. The shop did have the previous model (WX5), which I liked, but they wanted £30 more for it than the new model.

Not that it matters too much...just curious while I await delivery of a new toy:)

Anybody had a shot with the high res sweep panorama on any model with it? 42.9MP apparently! Is it any good?

Eventually got a shot of a Fuji X100 and didn't like it so the coast was clear for something else....went for something small, light and with a reasonably fast lens that wasn't too wide.

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I have the HX5v. The sweep panorama works but it is limited to 1080 high, I think it is a sort of function of the video. The panorama is more like 8-9MP. The video is outstanding so long as you don't obstruct the microphones. Stills are jolly good.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Cheers, am hoping the 16MP will still be jolly good for stills but hadn't considered using the video. Might look for one of these with a normal tripod thread on it so I can chest mount it - the waterproof and shockprook T-series tempted me but isn't much more than a GoPro HD Wide helmetcam (which I don't think are much cope on the bike and a helmetcam that looks like it can cope with the bumps is £500 and isn't one I'd one to chest mount as it looks a bit pointy for crashing on). Hmmmm;):D

I think the high res panorama is new...the WX10 has 3 modes according to the bumf on the Sony site:

• Intelligent Sweep Panorama - Automatically combines a burst of images to create extra-wide panoramic pictures, even with moving subjects in the frame
    • 3D Sweep Panorama - Sweep the camera and capture extra-wide 3D panoramic images. Enjoy the dramatic results either in 2D or on a 3D TV
    • Sweep Panorama High Resolution - Sweep the camera and shoot super-detailed 42.9 megapixel panoramas. Enjoy on your connected HD TV, or zoom in with PlayStation®3
    I think the HX5V just has the first one of those. Maybe the 42.9MP one is just 1080 and silly wide...I was assuming the images would be taller or the panoramas would be about 2 1/2 times round:confused:

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Re: WX10 compact (images)

Had a chance to play about with the high res panoramic mode today - you turn the camera so it's vertical and then do the sweep. The output is 10480x4096 pixels.

Not sure I've seen it get every join right in a pic yet but it's still good fun....

[​IMG]
    Larger

[​IMG]
    Larger

[​IMG]
    Larger

Also tried holding it still...
    [​IMG]
    Larger

I think the lens designers may have forgot about the corners!

Also tried video on the bike.....it's only about a squillion times better than the helmetcam so I'm trying to locate my gorilla pod and some duck tape:D

5. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Judging by what you`ve posted Andrew it looks a very good piece of kit.;):D