1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB 35mm Film (UK)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Thomas Keidan, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Thomas Keidan

Thomas Keidan Well-Known Member

Hi, if anyone is having a clear out of 35mm film and wants to get rid of some expired inventory then I would happy to buy/take it off you! I'm just getting started with film photography and would like to play around with anything I can get my hands on as i've been stuck with Agfa Vista 200 so far!

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that I don't have any film of which I wish to dispose, but I would ask whether you are having trouble finding film to buy at retail? If so, then you could try here and here.

Both companies offer a decent range of films, and their prices are pretty good. With the second of the two, watch out for some items having delivery included, but sometimes not included. They are not consistent across the board on this, and it's easy to get caught out when trying to assess the difference in cost, between the two companies, for a given order.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

peterba likes this.
  4. peterba

5. steveandthedogs

I like them. Used them for a while and not had any problems. Once did a cost comparison of several companies, this lot came out the cheapest overall; others may have had cheaper this or that by a fraction, but include postage and it made a fair difference.

[I was off sick and bored at the time]

Think they are an offshoot of Nova or something.

S

6. Thomas Keidan

Thanks for getting back to me, i'm after any! Think i'll try B&W after trying out different colours!

7. Thomas Keidan

I'm kind of struggling to buy film in the sense that I can't find any decent price stuff that's not Agfa Vista or Kodak Colourplus. But thanks for the links i'll check them out!

8. steveandthedogs

Can you do b&w at home? You don't need much equipment to process the film, but would need a scanner if you want to put them on a computer.
    Colour is not bad at home, but preferably needs a bit higher temperature and for some reason, I always find more dust and large dog-hairs getting on the film. Doesn't happen anywhere near as badly with b&w. Strange...

S

9. Thomas Keidan

I’m not nor comfortable with developing my own film at home yet, I’m a student so I don’t really have the money to make the initial investment or anywhere to store all of it! For convenience I send to Photo Express in Hull but I’m also thinking about getting a scanner to scan myself.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

11. peterba

12. steveandthedogs

Depending on how many films you intend to do, it will be a lot cheaper to do your own.
    Commercial dev - £3.00, diy - about 50p

Used Paterson tank/spiral from ebay, say £16
    Four plastic jugs from £1 shop, small measuring cylinder, say £1, cheap thermometer <£8 on ebay or find old alcohol one.

Not cheap if you are a student, but if you intend to do a lot of films, a good investment, especially if you already have a scanner.

Try chatting up some of the lab tech's in the science dept's. May have old film kit lying around still.

As for storage, that lot fits in an old tray about 30x40cm, and that is without stacking the jugs!

S

ps what sort of scanner are you thinking about?

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven't shot film for 10 years (although I put new batteries in both 35 mm and MF cameras last year). I think I used to buy in bulk from them but can't really remember.

14. Thomas Keidan

Thanks for getting back to me, I have heard it works out cheaper in the long term to develop at home so i'll have to weigh up my options. I'm thinking about investing in a flatbed scanner somewhere down the line. I've seen good things about the Epson Perfection models and the Canon 9000F Mark II. Scanning myself would allow me to scan high quality tiffs rather than relying on the 'ok' quality of JPEGs sent to me on CD.

15. Thomas Keidan

16. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

From what I've read so far you are reluctant to spend the money on film. Besides the cost of the film you have to take into account the cost of developing it. Actual B&W film processing costs will be quite high but using XP2 a mono film but developed win colour chemicals will work out cheaper. Taken all this into account you are going to digitise the following results. I am not the greatest fan of this process. If all you are going to do is use the film and then hand over the whole process to someone else to give you a set of negatives only for you to then digitise them.

As has already been mentioned buying the developing items to do your own will give you some pleasure and save you money. Yet like so many that have come from the only film days we have come to the conclusion that. Yes it is or was the best way to produce mono images but with digital you are only a few clicks away from decent mono results. My fridge is full of all manner of film and my brain full of thoughts of one day going back and doing some mono work.

Alas the willingness is lacking as is the time plus I did the printing of all my mono work but that's another thing altogether and one that is far more an enjoyable process. It's magic seeing a print appear before your eyes and one every photographer that hasn't experienced the process is sadly missing.

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have experienced this, I must admit I like seeing a print gradually chugging out of my inkjet printer though.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Buying and selling isn't permitted on here, but as the thread has taken a perfectly acceptable turn, I'll leave it up - Mod.

19. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have a Patterson enlarger. Including instruction manual that I would give away if you could collect,preferably from Reading.

20. Thomas Keidan

Sorry I didn't realise, my apologies!