1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you want to know? Dementia

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Power of Attorney -
    Round about 2000-2004, my late Aunt (mother's sister) agreed that a Power of Attorney would be a good idea, so my brother and I asked the "family solicitor" along to witness the signing and to hopefully stop any suggestions that we, her nephews, might have put pressure on. Our aunt died in 2007, aged 90.
    What we didn't know was that this solicitor would within a few years go to prison himself for abusing the trust of other elderly people for whom he acted. This was in Cheadle, Cheshire / Gtr Manchester where his office was based.
    (Nige probably saw mention of it in his local paper.)

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I don’t recall it.

A power of attorney is so someone can make decisions for your health and or finances when you aren’t able. It could be paying bills, speaking to companies etc. I don’t think a solicitor is best placed to do that.
    Getting your POA is actually a simple and easy thing to do yourself and is considerably cheaper than what a solid would charge.

As for wills, I was given advice from a solicitor. That was to never make the solicitor an executor of your will.

Zou likes this.
  3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

A solicitor will charge for every thing. letters phone calls, meetings and research. It will be itemized so you know exactly how you have been done over.
    They of course charge at an hourly rate that is eye watering compared to mere mortals. but why would they not. they study and train for at least five years but mostly more, before they are let loose to earn their keep.

4. dream_police

I had our wills drawn up by a solicitor. I wasn’t prepared to do that myself (also there were some complications) but the POA is very simple to complete and send off. We have done quite a few now. I can’t recall how much it is but certainly not very much. My sister in law got a solicitor to do hers (the same form you would do yourself) she paid £600 for the priveledge.

£82 as it happens

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

To do this you need two different powers of attorney - one for health and one for financial affairs.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Stuff it! Die with a penny left!

7. dream_police

I know. Thats why I put "and or". We have both.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Good in principle maybe.
    But don't your family or extended family deserve owt?

I hope that I leave a small house and about the same in cash to my extended family, plus something to educational charities that have been very advantageous to me.
    My mother died after nine years in a care home. You might justifiably say that I should have cared for her. Bathing and arse wiping of a mother by a son were not quite right at the time. Also I was working near Nottingham and she was in Leeds and rightly did not want to move from long term friends and her church.I did not begrudge the loss of the house that she and my father worked for. Some commercial property from by grandfather brought in a useful rent and that had to go near the end but I got most of the value of that. I did have a power of attorney thanks to a helpful family solicitor of long standing. I did not abuse it.
    I hope that I go in an instant. My will is in place. My concern is languishing at death's door, being miserable, as my mother was for years.
    I am however glad that I survived an out of hospital VR almost 15 years ago. A DNR would have finished me off. I have had some good bonus years. I hope that I have quite a few more. I have beaten my dad for longevity already. I have quite a challenge to beat my mum. She survived for 98 years, but sadly only really lived (before a catastrophe) for about 89.
    We have to be realistic.
    We die.
    Let's try to do it with dignity and style.

IvorETower and RogerMac like this.
  9. Ascu75 AKA Don Wood

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood Well-Known Member

We have great friends who run Dementia Care homes such a lot of bureaucracy before the caring aspect comes in .

Catriona likes this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My wife was a legal secretary for many years. She has, on occassion, admitted to a certain grudging agreement with Dick The Butcher's opinion of lawyers... :cool: