1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wot Lens Next ?.

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by DaveG40, Dec 23, 2009.

1. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Re: Wot Lens Next *UPDATE*

Thoughtfully put Mick.

2. DaveG40

DaveG40 Well-Known Member

I really do hope your right, I guess with increased sales of the A500, A550 and A700's replacement we'll find out, until then I'm not spending a single penny on another Sigma Lens.

"Build qaulity" is a term often used with Sigma Lenses and I know there are many a forum where the likes of the Tamron and Sigma 70-300 have been compared, and "build qaulity" is often a word that's mentioned in the Sigma's favour, it's funny how the "cheap" Tamron seems to last regardless of what camera is mounted to the lens.

I don't know about suits (I work for a living ;) ) but I'd imagine there pretty crap at taking photo's but would imagine they'd be good for the intended use: wearing.

I can find out from a friend (qaulified tailor) how much an adjustment would cost, i doubt it would be anything near £80. I managed to alter my best blue (RAF uniform) after a particually good chrimbo for nothing :D

However I'd really like to know how long it would take to replace cheap components and how much the parts would cost, £80 ?.

There are often car recalls because of a particular fault not becuase the driver has a good christmas, and how many would consider cheap gearing that breaks on a high powered camera to be a fault ?. Can you hand on heart tell me which Sigma Lens will NOT break within 1 month of mounting it to my A500 ?.

I sadly don't have the funds or confidence in Sigma to take that risk. I really do hope I'm wrong becuase Sigma do make very good lenses.(i'll keep an eye on this forum)

3. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have a Sigma 400mm f5.6, that I bought back in 1990, it works fine on my A700, no sign of any gear stripping...........

4. DaveG40

That's great, any other lenses ?, have you toned down the A700's af gearing and did'nt you recently mention about going for Sony glass ?.

I'd be interested to know if any A500 /A550 owners have got a Sigma 70-300 APO DG MACRO & if they've had any problems or not, maybe I'm just unlucky ?.

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I still use fast a/f, and yes, I am looking at going all Sony glass.

6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but it is interesting that Sigma did not license the AF technology from Minolta, but relied on reverse engineering. I have not come across any other lens manufacturer suffering from the same problem, whether it be Cosina, Voigtlander, Tokina, Tamron, Vivitar, or even Minolta. From this, one can deduce that in fact, the specification did not change - particularly as Sony could not risk destroying all previous Minolta lenses. I suspect that the original specification quoted a torque value that was not implemented at that time, but was implemented by Sony in the search for faster AF in large lenses. Licensees designed accordingly, Sigma did not.

7. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

An interesting theory. I have no idea if it's right or wrong.

I don't think that it alters my argument one iota. The lenses did work, Sony changed something, and some lenses failed. In other words they were fit for purpose when introduced and became unfit for purpose when the purpose was altered.

MickLL

8. DaveG40

I don't know whether Sony changed something or if Sigma saved a few pennies by fitting cheap gears, as already mentioned it's funny how Sigma Lenses appear to be the only ones with this problem.

Regardless of what we all think, the fact remains that as a Sony owner I do not know which lenses will last and which ones won't, and given what's happend to me I am not prepared to spend a single penny on another Sigma Lens until I know that the lens won't break because of a known fault.

That seems common sense to me ?.

If i were Sigma I'd be testing all my lenses on Alpha's, putting peoples minds to rest, because I'm pretty certain I ain't the only one concerned about it.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

From what I have read, the worst culprit seems to be the pre-Sony 70-300mm jobs, which would appear to fail fairly quickly on newer Sony cameras. In my case I only have one Sigma that might get used on a Sony, and having stripped it down a couple of times to modify the circuit board, I have observed that it has brass gears on steel axles/bearings! This is on the old 75-200mm 2.8-3.5 which Sigma stopped making in 1994. It was replaced by the 70-210 APO 3.5-4.5 in 1995 (which was well reviewed in AP), but it has nylon gears, so one would think that the 'dangerous' period would be lenses designed/built between about 1995 to 2005 or 2006. There is a site on the web that shows the year of introduction for Sigma lenses, and although I can't find it now, it could be a useful guide to which are the high-risk lenses.

10. SqueamishOssifrage

Many thanks for that link - really useful, in particular the 'DIY Straightening Bent Lens Filter Rings', as I am about to attempt this. I have the same lens (28-135mm) but it got dropped (not by me!). I had it professionally repaired, but the repair man said the thickness of the barrel metal meant the filter ring couldn't be fixed - he had to cut the old filter off. However, having just been to this site, I am now determined to get it fixed so I can put a filter on it, and get it back into service. My 28-75mm is great between 35 and 60, but runs out of steam thereafter, and my Sigma 75-200mm doesn't get up a head of steam until about 100!