1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Hodgelett, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Hodgelett

Hodgelett New Member

Hey, I'm new and unfortunately my first post has to do with a problem.
    My dad's decided that in my growing interest in photography that I can have his old Pentax ME and kit. Unfortunately, it's been sitting in his wardrobe for years and things have gone a bit wrong...
    Initial shutter jamming problems have been fixed, batteries replaced etc. but the light meter isn't working. I went to Jessops before who said that a service would cost around £60. :-/
    There's a store on the Strand in London who're selling a MZ50 body for £15 and I'm considering buying that instead...
    but I've been watching Ebay and noticed that some cameras go for more than others.
    Perhaps I should add it's a Pentax ME black. So I'm thinking it might be worth quite a bit in the future, if fixed. Although I don't have books.
    So should I try and get it fixed or just buy the MZ-50 body?
    If the former...does anyone have an idea what's wrong/how much it will cost, and recommend somewhere (preferrably zone 1 London)?
    Thanks.

ps. The flash's contacts are also pretty corroded so any tips for restoring that would be much appreciated!

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Evening Cazza,

Presuming your dad's kit involves a few lenses, the MZ-50 will accept them but will not be able
    to function with them....unless they are an A series manual focus lens which means there
    will be an A beside the smallest aperture/F-stop (usually 16, 22 or 32). An alternative camera
    which could utilise your Dad's lenses would be the MZ-7, MZ-6, MZ-5n, MZ-5 or PZ-1 or Z-1P along with any of the Pentax DSLR's. If you do go for another manual focus body, bear in mind that they can all use the Pentax AF lenses.

Hope this helps.

:)

Jack

3. Hodgelett

Hodgelett New Member

No, the lenses are just K mounts.

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Cazza,

In that case, the camera's (list in my previous post) will allow 'aperture priority' and 'manual (exp) mode' but without any "aperture/f-stop" readout
    although you will be able to get and "over-under exposure" meter reading in
    the 'manual exposure mode'.

Oh, BTW, forgot to welcome you to the AP Forums :eek:.

Cheers,

Jack