1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Worst Contax

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Ian_A, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Could be. The autobracketing system is very effective once you work out how it works, and the motor drive is fast enough that I can still use it at 100 mph in the air. Oddly, though, the manual sells it very short. The best description can actually be found in the original AP review, which is still available from OTC.

2. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

Works the other way too, the reason I went EOS film and then 5D (in the last year) was 4 zeiss lenses and no working Contax :mad: so the worst Contax for me are the two I own.

3. melek

melek Active Member

Remember, Contax is simply a brand name and not a company. That would be Kyocera. And I wonder how long Kyocera will commit to repairs of the cameras. Not long, I think. Have they already shed themselves of that responsibility?

4. Habanero

Habanero New Member

I've still got a 139 and an AX. I also used to have an RTS which I sold, as for me it didn't do much more than the 139.

I too have been looking to the future, particularly as my AX developed a bizarre fault on a recent trip. I've got 4 Zeiss lenses, and 4 Tokina C/Y fit lenses, so have also been considering the 5D. If I eventually get get one, I'll probably regard that as the worst Contax.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

But only if you try using it with an un-chipped adapter. My attempts with my 5D and an un-chipped Nikon adapter got sharp focus in lots of wrong places. (Eric Morecambe said it better...)

6. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Source: http://www.contaxcameras.co.uk/

7. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

I used a Yashica FR for several years when it was new. Wish I still had it but mortgage, kids etc forced it's sale. I was looking at a 137 and 167 on ebay (mint and recently serviced according to the seller). Unfortunately SWMBO and my daughter were looking for clothes and saw my 'watched list'.........needless to say I won't be getting any more cameras for a while..... :(

8. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I trust you pointed out the weather is getting warmer and they don't need so many cloths in the summer :) :) The FR was a great camera, my first Yashica / Contax. It travelled many miles in my motorbike tank bag, got very abused and always worked, until a GF left it in her hotel room from where it was nicked.

9. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Yeh, tried that argument plenty of times. After all who needs more than a couple of t-shirts and a pair of jeans........The return argument is "you can only use one camera at a time, so why have you got so many"

10. Tony_Polson

Tony_Polson Member

The worst Contax has to be the AX. Whoever thought of a motorised telescoping body to deliver slow and hesitant autofocus should have been shot.

The second worst Contax (to me) is probably the 167MT. It worked well enough but I found the handling bizarre. Contax got it so right with the Aria, which I think shows that Kyocera/Yashica did learn from their mistakes.

I was a big fan of the N1. It performed and handled superbly. If only the N Digital had not been such a disaster, I think Contax would still be with us.

I didn't make the N Digital my choice for worst Contax ever because I admired the sheer bravery of Kyocera/Yashica in developing that camera when they did. The problem was entirely with the sensor, which was so bad that Pentax did not even release the DSLR they had developed around it.

11. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

The 167 is the worst I've had my hands on. :)

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Keep it in Aperture Priority and it's a dream. In manual, it's a bit of a nightmare. Mine never budges from aperture priority as a result - which is really a bit of a waste of the camera's functionality, but there you go - it suits my way of working anyway.

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

And thanks to that, it's allowed me to get my hands on a 167MT body, some Carl Zeiss lenses at a very affordable cost, and I've now bought the AF chipped adapter for my EOS 5D from ebay. OK, it's not as convenient as using EF lenses, but I now have a usable 50 f1.4 with decent contrast at full aperture.

With regard to the 167MT I find it somewhat different, but it's certainly as usable as many of the other SLRs in my collection.

14. europanoramic

europanoramic New Member

hello all. worst was 159MM-although i liked it very much. exactly 20 years ago when i had my last assignment there was an accident at an important event. due to opto-electronical defect 50% of the flash-shots(ttl) were underexposed and the costomers very unhappy. since then i concentrated on rotapanorama-cameras. but also there: technical problems due to unprecise fabrication.
    rts had problems with moisture in cold weather. i have now fx-3(variants) and fx-2(shutter not precise) 139, 137ma(again), fxd(identical to 139). if i will find a second ir-s-remote controller i could synchro the two for 3dstereo.
    only receiver would be needed. will buy rts III again later.

15. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

I had a 159mm, which was totally reliable in the six years that I had it. I bought the body secondhand, and used the most excellent Yashica ML series lenses with it as I couldn't afford Zeiss. I sold it, together with Yashica ML 28mm, 50mm f1.4,
    50mm Macro, 135mm, and 200mm lenses, plus W7 Winder and TLA 30 Flash to finance a guitar.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I bought a nice working example, but have yet to use it...