1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Pinhole Day

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by steveandthedogs, Apr 18, 2020.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, the damn Zoom took up a lot of the arvo, and I completely lost the thread of what I was planning to do...

However, I did get a couple of cyanotypes in - currently flattening twixt the volumes of an 1880s Chambers Encyclopedia - and excavated the FrankenPinLeica. I really must put some effort into working out the gubbins to give me half a clue as to the exposures, though, as winging it without a clue is a recipe for disappointment. IMG_6508.jpg

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Try :

http://www.mrpinhole.com/calcpinh.php

3. gray1720

Interesting - I reckon my pinhole (just to be anal, it really was made with a pin) is about 0.2mm (see pic, measure it up yourselves if you want to check!) and according to Mr Pinhole* my sunny day exposure with ISO100 film is half a second - I'm really surprised it's that short from such a tiny opening. I've been going waaay over that. Annoyingly the FrankenPinLeica doesn't have the film plane marked on it, but I reckon I have my focal length in the right ballpark and, as far as I can see, it affects the angle of view more than exposure time.

IMG_6512.jpg

*I do hope Mr Pinhole is not related in anny way to Mr Pin!

steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  4. gray1720

...and here's the cyanotypes. I did one with a geranium leaf, and one with one of my glass plate negs - that one is OK, but I really, really like the leaf.

IMG_6510.jpg IMG_6511.jpg

Zou likes this.
  5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I found the easiest way to measure the pinhole was to scan it at very high res next to the rule; far easier to estimate than zooming in on a photo. Your 1/2s doesn't sound unreasonable to me; sunny conditions really make a difference compared to other brightish days.

6. gray1720

That's a good idea - now, can I unearth my scanner? It's been relegated to make space for the work computer...

7. steveandthedogs

Ain't that the truth.

Aperture .2mm, focal length ?35mm - ish so f = 35/0.2 =175, so 1/2 -3/4 sec about right, but don't forget reciprocity add-on.

Which film? 1/2s is spot-on for FP4+ according to PinholeDesigner. Ditto Foma 100, but more than 1/2s, Foma 100 goes berserk and needs about three weeks.

Like the cyanotypes. Wish I could get them to work...

S

8. gray1720

Neopan 100 - I can see a film order may distract me from saving for a shed, especially after buying four more box cameras, and even more especially as I am out of fixer! Thanks for the warning on Foma, it's just the stuff I'd try too.

Any idea where I could find some red plastic to patch a missing window?

9. steveandthedogs

Don't think Neopan has any recip failure.

Pinhole camera exposure times :

f number: 175

Including reciprocity failure for film: Fomapan 100

For Fomapan 100:

Time for f 22 Resulting time

1/1000 1/15

1/500 1/8

1/250 1/4

1/125 1/2

1/60 2 s

1/30 11 s

1/15 28 s

1/8 1 m

1/4 2 m

1/2 5 m

1 s 14 m

2 s 38 m

4 s 2 h

8 s 7 h

15 s 23 h

30 s 87 h

1 m 341 h

2 m 1346 h

Created by PinholeDesigner 2.0, film database v1 (9. 6. 2003)
    Copyright © David Balihar, 2001-2003

As for the red plastic thing, what about a bit of clear plastic stuck on the inside and painted with red glass paint? I've used this in the past :
    https://www.therange.co.uk/arts-and...ste-aquaglass-transparent-glass-paint/#463658

S

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

IIRC Neopan is ok down to 2 minutes and thereafter rf kicks in. Take that with a huge pinch of salt though as it's about 15 years since I last used it and my memory could be foggy.

Edit to add:

Just checked it. Remarkably my memory was correct! :D

steveandthedogs likes this.
  11. steveandthedogs

Just a touch better than Fomapan, then.

S

12. gray1720

You weren't kidding about the Fomapan! Bloomin' flip!