1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

workflow and file formats

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by dazdmc, Dec 24, 2019.

1. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

not looking for you to tell me how I should dot it, rather for you to tell me how you do it, what file formats and why. I thought there pretty much only raw and jpg, now I'm finding out there are also tiff, DNG and several others to choose from!!!

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

A Jpeg is a compressed file that is "Lossy" it discards unwanted data that was originally captured and compresses what is left to a suitable size. unfortunately it repeats this process every time it is saved, so every time you re-save a jpeg it loses quality.
    A Tiff Keep far more data and can be altered and saved as many times as you like with out losing data but it is a much larger file... however it can be saved as a compressed file using LZW compression ( this is an option when you do a "Save as")
    A raw file is the file of everything captured by the camera It needs to be processed into some other format to make it usable. eg tiff or Jpeg.
    A DNG is a universal rawfile invented by Adobe and can be opened by just about any raw processing program (it is the equivalent of a digital negative) some people always convert their raw files to DNG most never do.
    A raw file is particular to the brand of camera that made it, a DNG is not.

I save all my converted raws as tiffs. If I want to share them I export them as jpegs ( much smaller)
    Ideally you should save all your raws for future processing, I do not, so I have burnt my bridges as far as have a second go at raw processing if new features or improvements are added to the later software.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I take the other approach and only save the raw files together with the processing information used in post-processing. It is trivial to generate any other format on demand. I should say that I don't do editing outside of a raw-file environment. If you do compositing or other techniques that involve merging images, adding graphics or whatever, then saving as an image format is necessary.

4. PeteRob

Adobe proposed DNG as a universal file format (similar to pdf for documents) but so far there is little sign that raw processing programs have dropped support for older file formats. Most raw-processing software needs updating for new cameras. I went through a patch of converting to DNG when I bought a camera that Lightroom 6.14 (the last stand alone version) did not support but eventually I swapped to the current licensed version which keeps abreast of camera developments.

So far Adobe provide a free raw file -> DNG converter. Adobe Lightroom will, by default, convert camera files to DNG on import.

5. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Hi ,I shoot RAW and save edits as a jpeg to print or get printed commercially. I save panoramas as TIFFS to make final edits then save as a jpeg

6. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

cheers for your input guys. I think I'll probably keep doing what i'm doing for the moment until I have more time to play. I shoot mainly B+W and normally shoot raw and jpg fine ,for when I want the faster 5fps and a better buffer I'll switch to just jpg fine but I'll have a play and see what the camera speed is like with just raw. Converting to TIFF seems like it could be the best of both worlds and may be the way I go.
    I'm more used to developing a roll of film and hanging it up to dry while I have a beer :)

7. PeteRob

They can be large but I guess mono would be 1/3 the size of colour.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I stick with .jpg. I just don't edit the original.

9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I found that, for perfectly exposed shots taken in daylight, the JPG file from the camera is often fine.
    In other situations, creating my own JPG file from the DNG format RAW file can get a better result, especially if I've used a high ISO setting or got the exposure wrong. As per the previous post, if editing the JPG file, always work with a copy or be very careful to save the edited version to a new name ('save as'). Also, make sure that your camera has been set up to save its JPG files to the highest possible quality (least amount of data compression), and always save versions you have edited to the highest possible quality setting too. Later, if you want to put a version to a website you can create one saved at a lower quality setting, to get a smaller file to upload.

10. PeteRob

Also do your editing once. JPG compression is applied every save so don't make two changes, save, make another two, changes save etc. Better, use software that preserves the original, saves only the edit instructions, then puts the two together when you are happy and want a final result (as a new file) Lightroom and On1 do this.

dazdmc likes this.