1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Wohoo! Got my 16-50 DA* back today!

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by AlexMonro, Dec 22, 2009.

1. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Had a call this morning from my friendly local camera shop to tell me that that my lens, which has been in for repair due to dodgy AF, was back in. It's only been about 2 months since I sent it off.

Aparently, Johnsons Photopia, the Pentax UK service agents, aren't curently able to do any lens repairs, so they shipped it off to Japan. Next month, they hope to have arrangements to get repais done by Pentax Europe in Germany, and the hope to be able to do all repairs in house again by the middle of next year. Something worth bearing in mind if you've any lens related problems over the next few weeks...

Anyway, a quick test confirms it's definitely working better than it was. Hopefully I'll get a chance of some snow pics over the next week or two. The repair has a 3 month warranty.

I got myself an 18-55WR for 80 quid from SRS as a backup - which came in handy when I was on the Dorset coast during the storms of November, but it's definitely not as sharp, especially in the corners, even when stopped down. I'll post some of the pics to the appraisal gallery when I get the chance.

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Alex,

Glad to hear you got your lens back and, OOC, whilst you mention
    that DA 18-55WR was not as sharp, did you find the WeatherProofing
    seemed to work well while in windy, rainy climes of Dorset??

Cheers,

Jack

3. AlexMonro

Re: Wohoo! Got my 16-50 DA* back today! (2 pics)

Well, the 18-55WR and K20D seem to still be working fine after taking these shots (and another 50 or so in similar conditions - didn't even use the placcy bag method (the wind would've blown it away anyway)):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope the compact the bloke in the last shot was using was similarly water resistant. I didn't try doing any lens changes though (my DA40 Ltd would've been a bit sharper :) ) and I had to keep stopping to wipe the spray off. :D

4. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Oh cheers Alex: before logging on to the forum this morning I ordered one of these, for a cool £800!!! :D :D :D

5. AlexMonro

Well, the good news is that by the time yours might develop problems, they should've sorted out the UK servicing, so it should only take a couple of weeks to get it fixed, instead of the 2 months it took mine. Pentax may even have sorted out the manufacturing over the last year, so you've probably got less chance of ever having problems than I did.

Also, it is a cracking good lens, if a little on the heavy & chunky side... :)

6. PentaxManiac

Shortly after Johnsons' Photopia took over the repairs for Pentax they very kindly fixed the battery grip for my K10D without charge, even though the one year guarantee had expired.

Very kind of them, but it doesn't entirely make up for the fact that the K7D, which as discussed a fair bit on this forum is smaller than the K10D and K20D, will need a different grip, at upwards of 200 notes, when I get one

7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

£269.99 is the most expensive I found it and £225.00 is the cheapest... :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. PentaxManiac

Jeez. Just as well the K7D itself is starting to come down a bit: quite a few places offering it at under a grand now.

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

£889.00 is the cheapest I found it (body only). Most are doing it with the 18-55 WR lens for £1000 (so you'll get £100 cash back until Jan 15th).

BUT a spare battery is £62.99!!! unless you buy a non-pentax brand which comes in at £29.99.

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Well, I know a place that offers a FREE second(2nd) actual PENTAX battery :eek: :eek: .... when you purchase the camera and BP/VG ....... and a rtn tkt to YVR :rolleyes: But, hey,
    you might even get to go do some skiiing, skateboarding and, guaranteed, the dodgy character who
    takes your dosh will spring for a free Starbucks coffee :D

Cheers,

Jack

11. Oggy

Oggy RIP

Not to mention a grip.

I'm glad my K20d feels so comfortable. :)

12. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Unless you really need live view for macro etc, then I think you would be OK sticking with the K20D. There are numerous advantages to the K-7, which I have already discussed elsewhere, but I shall keep my K20D as a second body. There is little if any image quality differences between the two, it is just the way it is done that is different.