1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless flash….first ever attempt

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pixelpuffin, Oct 10, 2021.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

A1417A8B-0E9F-40B5-9556-B50DF88CE5D0.jpeg For some reason I always thought wireless flash would be too technical for me, so I left it be.
    Today I fancied another go at macro. Could not be bothered to search for my pot noodle diffuser (he he).

My 270ex was in my bag that I used for group shots at sons soccer games. That’ll do!!

Went hunting for a hot shoe to tripod screw adapter. Put flash on a folding table top tripod, went into camera menu’s, selected wireless, reduced the exposure and cancelled the on camera flash output. Stuck a 100mm macro and disappeared outside.

Took about a dozen shots. Lens was set to manual focus. One hand holding the flash boom the other holding the camera. I then just moved back and forth until it looked sharpish.

This is the best I got. Hopefully will have another crack next weekend.

First impressions - I like how the texture is revealed and how there are no harsh shadows as I get from on camera flash. All in all I enjoyed it. Completely surprised me just how easy it was to set up considering I’d never attempted it before.

Reduced to 278kb for uploading - sorry

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Ring flash has advantages for macro.

3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I’m sure it does Pete. I’ve had a couple of them in the past and tbh didn’t think much of them. I got better results with my cobbled pot noodle diffuser.

peterba likes this.
  4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree. Though I've never used ring flash, it seems (from examples I've seen) to provide rather flat uninteresting light. On the rare occasions that I've done macro with flash, I've opted to get the flash considerably away from the lens axis. Sideways (almost) lighting is my preference. As usual - no right or wrong way....... just preferences.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ring flash is great for straight reproduction - provides flat, even light. Most ringflashes allow you to control each side separately, so you can have one side 3 times brighter than the other, or even turn one side off altogether, which allows for greater creativity. I like using a ring flash with other remote guns, too, if I'm having a bit of fun with macro.

6. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`ve used my ring flash for portraits with some success but I do like using it as it`s intended to be used.

I usually have the camera and 90mm Tamron on either a monopod or tripod depending on the subject.
    I`ve had some good shots in the garden that way.
    I have used it as a short telephoto for bird shots at the feeders,blue tits,coal tits and gold finches usually.The gold finches tend to hog the feeders
    sometimes for 10 minutes plus.The others show their frustration by trying to intimidate the finch to no avail!!

It`s rewarding to watch all this from the kitchen window.