1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiping an SD card to NASA standards

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Max resist, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Max resist

Max resist Well-Known Member

Well Thanks all some pearls of wisdom there.
    Obviously many readers of the forum are very well informed.
    When my SD card was damaged by a Virus contracted either in an Internet Café
    or a High Street Photo machine much of the data was lost.
    The operative there and another very good Engineer took a look at the Card
    and said that certain things were so corrupted that in his opinion it was going to prove
    difficult to impossible to retrieve anything even at cost.
    It might have been possible with very expensive mining software but not worth it in his opinion.
    Mind you this was a virus.
    He explained how generally digital data is stored much like a cassette tape where music is over written
    So it looks like my bank statements are safe for the time being.
    Im not so sure its as cut and dried therefore or as easy and guaranteed a process of retrieval as
    is sometime thought be folks who have never had experience of actually doing it?
    He explained that for anyone to be really interested in retrieving ones erased of lost SD data
    it would require the resources of the deep state nine ,experts and a lot of time and energy.
    He thought it unlikely this would occur unless National security was at stake!
    I have nothing to hide and said card is now in some landfill somewhere being pretty much useless......

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You've been misled. Data isn't stored sequentially in flash memory. Recovery is extremely easy. Sandisk even gave away the software with the cards at one time. A couple of minutes' work, and up come all your photos of Nazi salutes, details of right-wing extremist bomb plots, and lists of members of proscribed extremist parties, it's that easy.
    Now if the card controller circuit is gone, that's a different matter, but corrupted card recovery is facile.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Never put any storage device in an internet cafe computer (or any computer not your own) - that is asking for trouble. Similarly don't stick other people's cards/pen drives in your computer. If you must and it is a trusted source, still run a manual virus scan on the new drive. With SD cards you can at least write protect them. Many corporate laptops have the USB ports disabled as an anti-virus and anti-information-theft precaution.

4. Max resist

I reiterate I have no connection to this band max resist or character maximum resistance.
    max resist is just a name I plucked out of thin air of a web chat site!
    There are probably a lot of us.
    so your making a false connection it seems to me mischeveoulsy!
    Theres no conspiracy data at all!

5. Max resist

Thanks you.
    shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted

6. Max resist

Sounds like you work for law enforcement!LOL

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I do. I'm a Site Moderator. ;)

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Mischievously, moi? Perish the thought. ;)

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

They still do, the 32GB card I bought last week had a code.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Spoil sport!