1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiping an SD card to NASA standards

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Max resist, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

A number of years back I borrowed my wifes compact digital camera whilst on holiday in Cyprus. Not having a clue what I was doing, I pressed the format option, thus wiping almost a weeks holiday snaps. Reading this thread has jogged my memory and got me wondering. Is it possible to recover these images? She would be over the moon as she's never forgiven me for it. My excuse " There's no format option on a K1000! I didn't know!"

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Assuming that the card has not been overwritten in the mean time, yes it is possible. SanDisk offer a free subscription to a program called RescuePro with their memory cards and I have used that in the past to good effect. There will be other software that does the same job.

3. Craig20264

Thanks Geoff. I'll give it a whirl :)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You need to have not written to that card after formatting and for the format to be just a high-level format. So unless you took it straight out of the camera all those years ago and put it safe I wouldn't make any promises, keep efforts a suprise!

Craig20264 likes this.
  5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

When I was doing electronics I bought some printable material, which the tracks (resist) would be printed onto (on a laser printer) then ironed on to the board. Then some acid or other which worked with the transferred resist finished the job. Can't remember the names, but it worked well.

6. AndyTake2

We are both on the same page with this one - HDDs get dismantled, platters scratched to hell and a magnet from a FDD drive ran over the platters.
    Not that I'm paranoid or anything:D

RogerMac likes this.
  7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ferric Chloride for etching the copper. I used a rub-on resist transfer on occasions too, needed very careful application to avoid gaps.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The actual discs are pretty fragile and shatter in a satisfying manner when hit with a hammer.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Scratched? You amateur...

Canon Eos 5D_one 8GB 08 IMG_3503.JPG

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

AndyTake2 likes this.
  10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have done that on my carpet. You'll be picking shards out of your feet for years to come.:)

11. Andrew Flannigan

This would be true if it was a carpet. It's a dust grab mat on my work bench which I clean with the help of my friend Henry...

Sony A65 8GB UnNumbered DSC00223.JPG

... S.M.Artypants ;)

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Let you off then.:)

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

There's something about Henry's eyes that reminds me of Airplane.....

DaveM399 likes this.
  14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I think it's more the smile...

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Looks rather furtive to me

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

18. Andrew Flannigan

...and they work as well as the clever ones that cost 3X as much. :)

19. Craig20264

I have one on my work van. It picks up everything, bits of brick, stones, wood shavings. In fact, if it fits up the pipe, It'll pick up!
    I won't let the wife have one in the house though as she uses it as a paint remover from the architraves and door linings!

20. AndyTake2

I've seen more of those Henry vacs in workshops than any other make.
    The only thing that appears to be a step up is the dedicated workshop units which attach directly to the machinery, but the fact that they have been going for so long is testament to simple design being the best.