1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Windows Upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Craig20264, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I am late to the party as usual, but am going to have to upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10, to enable me to subscribe to the latest LR/PS package.

My question is. I am aware I will lose all installed programs, but will I lose Files and Folders?

2. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I can't answer that question but I would strongly recommend backing up everything of value as things can go wrong.

Craig20264 likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’m not sure because there was a free upgrade route (there’s another post on that in the last three months) but I’d certainly have a back-up. I use a simple script based on robocopy (robust file copy, the windows replacement for xcopy) to maintain a clean copy of my user files.

Microsoft dropped support for Windows 8 but 8.1 is still supported. I always thought it was pretty much like win 10 under the hood, just a rubbish way of dealing with “apps”. Surprised LR won’t run on it.

Let me know how you get on. I run 8.1 on my office machine and 10 on my laptop. It would be easier to have 10 on both.

4. Craig20264

So far so good. It’s downloaded, and before the installation began it asked me if I wanted to keep personal files. I’m nervously watching it install!
    Lightroom was specifying Win 10. Told me my machine wasn’t compatible!

5. PeteRob

You bought it or is this the update installer? I hope you did do the file backup!

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Should be fine (touch wood)

7. Craig20264

I'll be up for air soon!!

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You won't lose them.

9. Craig20264

Well, I now have Windows 10 running, all my files and folders intact, LR and PS installed. This was all because I bought a new camera, and couldn't open the RAW files (Fuji RAF) on my old out of date editing software! What an evening that was. How any of you work with computers without throwing them out of the window I'll never know!

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

A bit of advice about Window 10 - some software described as 'incompatible' with W10 will work perfectly (for example, my 2009 CD of Adobe Photoshop Elements 7). If you have any old scanners (film of 'flatbed') with old drivers that will not work on W10, don't replace them but find out about Vuescan software. I use this to drive a 20 year old Minolta 35 mm film scanner and a 14 year old A4 scanner that recent versions of Windows wanted me to scrap.

11. PeteRob

Four hours, not bad, I’ve had that with normal winupdate! Which reminds me my laptop hasn’t been turned on for three months so that’ll need a host of updates!

Craig20264 likes this.
  12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

There is a 'new features' version 2004 of W10 (all previous update history is removed) available to download now.
    I have a 10 mps download speed, and the full download and install took nearly 3 hours (mostly install), with 5 or 6 restarts at the end. So if you get this, you may avoid most of the other updates you have missed.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is a 2006 update too.

14. PeteRob

Once installed it should update itself to the latest version anyway - irrespective of the starting point.

EightBitTony likes this.
  15. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

You could have converted your RAF files to DNG in PS and then opened them.Simples!;)

16. PeteRob

I did that for a while, a short while, then went from LR 6.14 to Classic. No point in having both RAF and DNG.

17. Craig20264

I tried. Didn't have any success. I've been putting off biting the bullet and subscribing for too long now, so it's all good. Nice to be shooting in RAW again, although, I have to say, the Jpegs out of the X100F are a treat.

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I have been using Windows since 3.1, 3.11 and 95 and now on 10 latest version and I have never, and i mean never had a problem and it is on FOUR computers in the home. Sorry

19. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

20. PeteRob

The Adobe DNG converter is the (free) tool to make DNG files if so wished. As far as I know, no raw file format has lost support through becoming obsolete but that’s what the tool was created for.

EightBitTony likes this.