1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Windows Photo gallery

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Angela Mayne, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Angela Mayne

Angela Mayne Member

Hi does anyone use Windows photo gallery for editing and captioning please. I have been using it for a few years now and have over 18,000 pics all captioned and fully searchable from within the program. BUT since the new 2004 windows update I have had trouble with photo gallery, it lets me edit and caption but as soon as I go to save it says that the file cannot be saved because of problem with file properties. I know the program has not had updates for a few years, but it has always worked until just now. Anyone help, as I dont think the captions will transfer to another editing program. Thanks x

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Angela,

Describing a 2004 windows update as new is a surprise! Photogallery has been discontinued for a while now. It is a nightmare when that happens. I search a bit to see if there is anything about exporting the database. Google throws up several links about installing it on Windows 10 but I never follow links like that - often leads to trouble.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

Lots of posts online with people having the same error since 2012, sometimes when trying to rotate the images.

Where are the images saved on your computer (which drive, directory)?
    Can you make other changes (like rotate them)?
    Can you edit them in other apps?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

6. Angela Mayne

Angela Mayne Member

Sorry didnt mean windows update, meant features update 2004 for windows 10. I have been searching for a similar program from Windows / microsoft but they dont seem to have made an alternative.

7. Angela Mayne

Angela Mayne Member

8. Angela Mayne

Angela Mayne Member

Hi, images are stored on C drive and on 2nd drive as back up and external drive. I can do full editing, rotating etc and captions and tags, but as soon as I close the file which is the programs save, it says it has a problem with file properties. Going to test it with another camera today incase it is a problem with one particular camera. will update later. And yes I can edit them in other apps.

9. EightBitTony

Once you modify them in another app, can you then modify them in Windows photo gallery? Not a fix, and not ideal, but some people suggest it fixes their problem when they get this issue.

Is it every single image, or just new images?

10. Angela Mayne

Angela Mayne Member

Yes have checked and I can edit in another app and then photo gallery will let me save it, as you say not a fix but can be worked round. its only new images and not all of them, some work some dont.

11. EightBitTony

That's the same problem other people report, from before the Windows 10 update (as far back as Vista) - the bad news is, there doesn't seem to be any one permanent fix.

Maybe time to find another tool :(

12. Angela Mayne

Angela Mayne Member

Thats the trouble finding one that has such a brilliant caption and search facility, editing is no problem as such a lot of those. This one is fully searchable from any single word in the caption. Do you know of any that will do this please.

13. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

2004 is the latest update

14. Angela Mayne

Angela Mayne Member

Dont worry, I am pleased you are interested to reply

15. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath