1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 11

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by dangie, Oct 7, 2021.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not totally their fault. There are other problems:
    1. Non-MS apps that access things they really shouldn't,
    and also
    2. Users who only have one , Admin level, account rather than an Admin account and a less powerful User account for everyday use.

A lot of security problems are at the user end of things. I doubt MS could plug all the holes without making PCs nigh on unusable.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

One of Microsoft’s biggest problems is that it tries to be all things to all people. There are parts of Windows that very few domestic/small business users will ever benefit from but Windows 10 Home lacks features that the same users would probably want. I know that some devices run cut down versions of Windows with all the unnecessary bits removed and are consequently very stable. I have come across Windows devices where software applications are loaded in much the same way as on Unix devices, not embedded across the OS. Equally I have experienced equipment that used unnecessarily complex networking when disassembly would have been required for it to have been necessary.

Most domestic users would be better off with a much less capable, and probably faster, operating system. They buy Windows because they are familiar with it from work/school. Microsoft could, if it so desired, produce such an OS but they chose not to.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There are very few computers it doesn't work on. Indeed, there's a good chance that Linux is running your TV, video recorder or other electronic gadgets.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I do find it amusing that people talk about upgrades and Linux in the same sentence.

Linux has the same obselence challenges that Windows has, and the upgrade process is a hundred times more likely to fail.

Anyway, as a counterpoint to this, I use Linux and Windows. I only use Linux for servers, and I only use Windows for desktops. Windows 7 was superb, Windows 10 has been superb. I've had one issue with Windows 10 on one device, and a reset to base without deleting user data resolved it. Automatic updates turned on, on all the Windows 10 machines, never had an issue. Never owned a peripheral it didn't support. Never tried to run a bit of software it didn't support and if I needed to, I can run it in a VM anyway.

If you fight against the way MacOS wants you to work it'll be a painful operating system, if you fight the way Windows wants you to work it'll be painful and if you fight the way Linux (whatever distribution) wants you to work, it'll be painful. If you work in the way the OS you use expects you to, it'll mostly be plain sailing.

Microsoft made Vista secure and people *hated it* for good reason.

Microsoft simplified the Windows experience in Windows 8 and people *hated it* for good reason.

Anyway, I love using Windows, it just works.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

*hated it* for VERY good reason.

8.1 is OK if you stick to the desktop layout and don't run any of the native Windows apps. Quite why they decided that the full screen experience was the only way to use an App I don't know.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member