1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

'Window' framing four pictures.

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Sep 4, 2020.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

This is really about picture presentation, but definitely about pictures!

I have a large empty spot on one wall that I want to fill. I did have a silk Persian carpet hanging there, but as the only way to hang it was with the pile facing upwards, not only was the lustre of the silk lost, but it also collected dust and smoke, so was slowly ruining. I took it down!

I have a photograph I took that I would like to hang in four sections, printed at 150 dpi on A3+ full bleed. I have made it into four slices in Photoshop, and now the issue is the most effective way to hang them, once printed. I have several choices:-

1. A borderless frame for each one, hung in close proximity to each other, but all in the same plane.
    2. A single 'window' type frame, with the pictures separated by a component of the frame, as if seen through a window.
    3. Each picture properly framed and hung close together as a triptych in four parts (there must be a name for that!).

I currently favour the first option, as I already have four suitable borderless frames, and although some engineering would be required to hold them a few millimetres apart, that is not insuperable. It also has the major advantage that the picture(s) could easily be changed. The second one I have seen done very effectively, though it is a tad expensive to get a custom frame made, and also there is the issue of should the pictures be butt joined, and the struts over the join, or should the struts frame the actual pictures completely. The last option is a little problematical, as firstly each quarter picture would have to stand on its own (they probably don't), and the end result would be highly dependent on the frame choice.

I really would appreciate some input here. The problem is that nobody in Cyprus can print to this composite size (38" by 26"), and as a single picture with a proper surround, the framing would be prohibitively expensive (the 'window' type frame would be a standard size for my usual framer, and he would just have to add the cross-struts).

What say you?

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'd go for 1. Have not done it with 4, but sounds good. I have hung frameless canvases that way.

But remember, if the picture is supposed to work across the four, you probably need to crop out what would be in the gaps if it were one picture. If you don't, the effect can be far less.

3. SqueamishOssifrage

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my plan is print full-bleed, but when I put them into borderless frame, which is A2 size, I would position the picture in the frame so the two shared edges are right at the appropriate edges of the frame.

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not sure that's what I mean. There should be a gap same size as the distance between the pictures. So if eg there is a diagonal line, it doesn't start at the same point, but visually where it should come in to the next frame. So it is like part of it is invisible. You can't have a diagonal start at the same point, it looks wrong.

[​IMG]

If you close the four on left up, the lines should not meet. If they do, it will look wrong.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    SqueamishOssifrage and Fen like this.
  5. SqueamishOssifrage

Ok - I got it now! The main candidate does indeed have one diagonal and one arch, so I will need to trim.

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Option 1 - But agree with Mike that when you print the images bear in mind any lines that go over the gap. Rooftops, parts of the architecture, even distinctive colours.

If there is going to be a 1" gap between the images, cut half an inch of each side of the gap off the actual picture before printing :)

7. SqueamishOssifrage

Thanks for the clear explanation - I finally twigged what RM meant. Fortunately I have a large sliding type guillotine to do the business with.

Fen likes this.
  8. SqueamishOssifrage

Minor change of plan! I am going to mount the four frames on a diagonal cruciform (that should be spelt 'cruxiform'!), adjusting their position to just a couple of millimetres separation - enough to show they are separated - and then, instead of cropping the prints, just don't print those bits. My main use of Photoshop is its exceptionally powerful print module, where things can be positioned to the pixel.

Fen and Catriona like this.
  9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

You'll have to take a photo of the piece on the wall when it's completed. Would love to see it :)

10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

There is a 4th option - use editing software to create a single image from the 4 separate images and add you own border and dividers.
    This is an alternative to your option 2, where the images are separated by physical components of a (complex) frame.

I use an old copy of Photoshop Elements, and this would take only a few minutes to do, and allow flexibility about the relative sizes of each image and of the dividers between them. Then buy a single frame for the composite image that is a single print.

I have used software put a large border around an image (to simulate a card mount) and then put a print of that in a frame. Nobody notices that the 'mount' is really part of the print, and I could have any border size or colour I wanted.

11. SqueamishOssifrage

I may even inflict upon you a blow-by-blow illustrated lecture on the construction thereof! :eek::D

Fen likes this.
  12. SqueamishOssifrage

I already have the single piece image - as I said, I sliced it in Photoshop to four images to print separately at A3+ full bleed. The final thing on the wall will be 120cm by 80cm, and nobody out here can print to that size, and even if they could, the cost of framing would be prohibitive.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

This is the UK website page for CEWE, but they are a German company who send prints to many counties (when I order an A2 calendar it comes from Germany). They do a 'photo poster' in 80 x 120 cm and 'semi matt' finish, so it might be worth looking at the website to see if they will ship to you. Or they might have a branch in Greece - my web search only find the UK site.

https://cewe-photoworld.com/wall-art/photoposters

The 'photo poster' is about £15 if ordered in the UK, and they offer this size in various other finishes, right up to a 'personalised gallery print' at £349 that is mounted on aluminium and so needs no frame. It might be worth spending a few minutes exploring their website.

https://cewe-photoworld.com/wall-art/gallery-print

14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Have you looked at WhiteWall? They are a German company and I've used them quite a few times for large prints* and exhibition work.

* By large I mean 8ft x 5ft prints without external frame but made with a hanging frame on the back so they looked like they were floating just in front of the wall

Link - https://www.whitewall.com/uk