1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Win10 Explorer question

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Footloose, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

When using win 10's Explorer and select an image I want to open in (for instance, Affinity Photo) I right-click and a drop-down menu appears from which I select the 'Open with' option.
    Within that sub-menu listed apps such as PSP-18 in it's 8 and 16-bit versions, Affinity Photo, PSP-19 etc.
    Since I no longer use some of these, how do I delete the ones I no longer use from this list?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Unless you are an expert with regedit, don't even think of trying. It is possible to modify the context menu (right click menu) by editing the registry (I'm sure there must be any number of examples on the internet) but any registry changes are instant and can be fatal. You can set a default action by ticking the box "always use this".

That said, if you uninstall a program you no longer use then, if it added itself to the list, it should remove itself. If you browsed for it and added it yourself by following the appropriate dialogues, then probably not.

3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete, must have been getting lazy, went into Control Panel and changed some of the things there and sorted this out. - Discovered a couple of the apps I hadn't actually uninstalled! Doh!

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That’s good.

A few versions of windows ago, probably NT, I used to edit the registry so that any unassociated file type opened with a text editor and an extra “edit” option appeared in the context menu for associated file types but it stopped working at some point.