1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Win 10

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by swanseadave, Jul 21, 2020.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

My son just bought me a Win 10 pc in HP tower online for £99.Apparently it`s refurbished but I forget where he got it.First signs show it to be lightening fast compared with the old one running Win 8.1.

Next move is buy a caddy to put the former C drive in which contains many thousands of photographs.I think I`ll get a Novatech one since I already have another drive in one.

It certainly is fast!!.

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I got a W10 PC about 2 years ago - one with a solid state 'disc drive' for all the software and a conventional disc drive for all the data files (Word documents, images, etc.). It cost me £500 new from PC World, and the man who made my previous PC for me told me that he couldn't even buy all the part in it or £500, so I'd got an 'end of line' bargain.

My 2009 copy of Photoshop Elements 7 loaded perfectly (from disc), and runs very quickly with the 8 Gb of RAM that the PC also has. If you have any scanners (flatbed or film) that have drivers that won't work with W10, don't replace them but look at Vuescan software instead. I use it to run a 20 year old Minolta film scanner and a 14 year old flatbed one.

3. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

£99 ?????

My 1TB SSD cost a shed load more than that :)

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I bought a Dell Optiplex for about £300. Lightning fast - been working faultlessly for the last couple of years. Totally silent.

• Intel Core i5 Processor

• 16GB DDR3 RAM

• 500GB SSD hard drive

• DVD ReWriter drive

• 2 x USB 3.0 ports

• 4 x USB 2.0 ports

• Intel HD Graphics with VGA and Display Port

• Windows 10

• 24 month hardware warranty

5. Stephen Rundle

Ok really really low spec then

6. Stephen Rundle

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Having had my Windows tablet since late February I have to say that Windows has improved since 2016 when I was using Windows 7 at work but all the things that annoyed me then remain. Software loading is slow, every update seems to require a restart, I have to upgrade the OS to gain control of updates and when I do restart it doesn't reopen my applications, updates seem to still be a too regular occurrence. I also discovered that if I reload Windows, I wanted to give my old tablet away, Cortana really doesn't want me to shut down without creating/signing-in to an account. Obviously, being a tablet there are no hardware upgrades I can do but then I bought it for some specific software. Buying a new Mac may require that I take out a mortgage so I'll be keeping this on for a while yet!

Enjoy your computers.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I work for my wife one day a week doing back office stuff - accounts, IT and so on. 4 desktops and 5 laptops running Win 10. I have one of each of my own, plus another 2 desktops, a nettop and another laptop at home, all running Win 10. Means I have virtually nothing to do in terms of PC support, which is great. One desktop at home is over 8 years old - 1st gen i7 - and it still does everything that's wanted of it - which isn't PS any more, but it's done sterling service in lockdown for my wife.
    I've found WIn 10 to be pretty much bulletproof. When I think back to 95...

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As I said Windows has improved, my last version was Vista, but let’s forget about that. Corporate versions of Windows were always much better than the unmodified versions available to the general public having had the junk removed. My company Windows 7 computers were never a problem, probably because updates were centrally controlled and didn’t trickle in every couple of days. Windows 10, as I see it, is pretty much the way corporate Windows 7 appeared to behave.

As I said reloading Windows on the tablet I was giving away was fine until Cortana wanted me to create an account or sign in. I think it was partly the device but I just couldn’t shut it down. It was at the point where the new owner would need to start. I got there in the end, then the person I gave it to had problems switching it back on.

I am now wondering if reloading Windows might speed up Mum’s Lenovo?

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have always found a reinstall of Windows to be a great way of resolving problems and improving speed. However, always a concern that it might go wrong as a complete reinstall of everything is tedious. Fortunately it seems to be a far more reliable process these days.

11. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

"if you have any scanners (flatbed or film) that have drivers that won't work with W10, don't replace them but look at Vuescan software instead. I use it to run a 20 year old Minolta film scanner and a 14 year old flatbed"

Hi Chester,I downloaded Vuescan in 2014 and paid for the licence.I used it with a Minolta Scan Dual 3 which I still have.
    BUT,when I down loaded it to Win 10 the licence would not work.I either have to buy a new licence or use the Sony software.

I do seem to recall another scanning program,called iirc,Silverfast.Not quite sure of the name.That`s another possibility.

Roger,you`ve abandoned Linux then?