1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the new OM-1 rescue this Oly room in AP forum?

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Learning, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It looks promising.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

But they have been stalled on 20MP for a very long time. Hard to get excited about the changes over recent models.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

To my eyes, it lacks the elegance of the film camera. I prefer the workmanlike design of the G9.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

As Wallace might have said "Cracking camera, Gromit" but it's so expensive. I don't have 2 grand to spend on any camera, let alone one with "only" an MFT sensor.
    I don't think it will save the Olympus (or should that be OMDS) part of the forum, but we can hope that it saves its manufacturer from extinction.

I'll be interested to see how long it takes used prices to fall below £1500, then below £1000, but even then it will be out of my reach

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Reusing a camera model designation risks a degree of confusion, especially with film photography becoming more popular. I paid £200 for my OM1 in 1978 and that equates, I am told, to around £1,000 today. The "new" OM1 is a better camera all round in many respects so it may be worth double the price.
    indeed they have. They also produced the OM D EM1X which is as big as a full frame camera and not holding its price, they needed something but I'm unsure the OM1 is it.
    Agreed.

With Panasonic now making full frame cameras, and MFT at 25mp, Olympus/OMDS are the last manufacturer with only MFT bodies. I would suggest that isn't a particularly happy place to be. Add in the fact that they haven't adopted the higher resolution sensor and one might be forgiven for thinking something isn't well with OMDS.