1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Will my lenses be compatible with a digital body?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by evearnold, Nov 23, 2008.

1. evearnold

evearnold New Member

I have a Pentax MZ6. I want to buy a digital camera and am wondering is it worth sticking with Pentax so I can continue to use my lenses and filters etc. I have the dedicated 58mm lens for the Pentax (28 - 90mm) and a Tamron (80 - 210 mm). Any advice and also recommendations of which body to buy (I really liked the Canaon Rebel, is there an Pentax equivilant??) Many thanks.

2. Ratcatcherpix

Ratcatcherpix Well-Known Member

All Pentax lenses with the K or KA mount will fit. As for which camera it depends on what Canon you want to compare with. If you are looking at spending between 300-£550 body only, then personally i would go for the K10D Or the K20D try SRS Microsystems in Watford they are very highly recommended.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Or spend £569 and get a new K20D and a new 18-55 mk II lens AND £100 cash back as well until the end of January 2009.... :D

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

The sensor on Pentax DSLRs is smaller than the standard 35mm film frame, so the image will be cropped by a factor of about 1.5 - i.e. your pictures will be framed as though you used a lens with a focal length 1.5 times longer - e.g. the long end of your Tamron will look like you're using a 315mm lens.

Unfortunately this applies at the wide end too, so your 28-90mm will look as though it only goes out to 42mm. You may want to get a new wide angle, though the kit 18-55mm isn't bad, giving a view equivalent to 27-82mm on film (and a bargain with the current cashback offer).

You might like to have a look at the Pentax K200D and the new Km too.

5. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

You will be able to use your lenses with a Canon crop frame camera if you buy suitable adapters. If you buy an adapter with a special chip attached you can even have focus confirmation. Of course they will not be autofocus and you will have to stop them down manually and meter stopped down. (I am assuming here that your lenses have aperture control rings.) I have used my K fit lenses on my Canon 20D, although I confess that the auto focus Canon glass takes priority.

It is much more problematic using K fit lenses on a full frame Canon. At the very least you would need to remove the aperture control lever, which would be sacrilege in my view ;)

Buying a Pentax DSLR would give you rather more functionality with your existing glass and you would not need to buy adapters, but you should perhaps be taking the long view here, and decide what system you want to use for future. How much are your lenses worth? How much influence should they have on your decision?

Lenses intended for a 35mm film camera will suffer what is in effect a focal length magnification factor if used on a crop frame digital camera (1.5 for Pentax, 1.6 for Canon) which tends to wipe out your wide angled glass, but gives extra reach to your telephotos.

I took the decision some while ago to continue to use my Pentax cameras for film, but I moved to Canon for digital. Since then Pentax have become more competitive with their DSLRs.

Pentax currently have I think 3 cameras available, the K-m, the K00D and the K20D. In addition you should be able to pick up a (discontinued but very nice) K10D nearly new at a bargain price.

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

The K200D gets a £50 cashback as well... :D

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Also, I see in this week's AP that Cameraworld are advertising the K100D Super with 18-55 at 200 quid (ex-display) or 240 quid as a kit with memory card, case & filters.

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Will my lenses be compatible with a digital body? Yep :D

Hi Eve,

Indeed they will and, FWIW, I had a(n Australian) lady in the shop this past summer come
    in for six(6) rolls of film and I casually mentioned that for the price of the film she could
    purchase (at least) a 1GB memory card for a digital camera --- thinking that she might
    be interested in a £45 Nikon L16 -- and she said "that she had looked at Digital Camera's
    a while back but she was not going to spend $2800/£1400 for a camera body :eek:"
    So I had to ask her "how long ago and which camera?" and she replied "Oh some Pentax
    camera" and I said "the Pentax IST*D?" and she said "Oh, maybe .... I don't remember ... :D

So, I put the film on the back counter, grabbed a key to camera case and asked her to follow me
    and to bring her lenses .... which she did :rolleyes: I took out the K200D, popped in a 1GB SD card,
    put her FA 28-80 lens on the camera and asked her how she normally used her MZ-60 ... which was
    usually in the " Green Mode " and so I set the K200D in the Green Mode and asked
    to operate the K200D as she would the MZ-60 which she did and took a picture. Then I showed her
    to play back her photo ..... voila there was her photo (of her husband) :D .... showed her the different WB's, how to use Manual Exposure -- exactly like her MZ-60 -- and how Program offered
    her more functions but "she" had to pop-up the flash on her own :) ..... and so twenty (20) minutes
    later she asked if "Jack" worked at this store .... I said "yep, that's me" and she said her neice (who works at a coffee shop) said I should come and see me :) ... and ten (10) minutes later she walked
    out with a K200D, a 2GB SD card, an set of 4 AA's rechargeables (and charger) along with the four(4)
    AA Lithiums that came with the camera .... and all for £300/$600 ... :D and my email address, my name here (and on D(e)P(raved)Review :eek:) lest she have any questions, problems, etc .....

So, yep, you can use your lenses on a Pentax DSLR ...... BTW, you not heading to Vancouver in the near
    future ......... are you :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jack

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Jack

You are a true salesman................ :cool:

10. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Well done Jack, the more Pentax users out there the better IMHO. The few are becoming the many................

And yes, I use all of my legacy lenses on my K20D with great results.

11. Done_rundleCams

Hi Nigel and thanks although, true be told, I have never been comfortable
    with the moniker of 'salesman/person' ..... I just consider myself a (wannabe)
    photographer who happens to work in the camera biz :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

12. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

Yep, it always nice when the Pentax numbers increase :) but, had she had a Nikon F65 or
    a Canon EOS 50, I would have attempted the same thing :eek: but as it was she didn't have a camera being hit by crisis reports ;)

Cheers,

Jack

13. Done_rundleCams

Re: Will my lenses be compatible with a digital body? Yep :D -- A PS:

The PS being that she still picked up three(3) rolls of film :rolleyes:

cheers,

Jack

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

wish I could satisfy women so easily Jack...

15. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

People are still amazed I use film, I don't want to abandon my Z-1p, MZ-S and M645Pro entirely. I just use film as a means to prevent me being stuck with luggerboads of files requiring editing...on the PC... but then again just down by my left foot are 100 boxed of slide film

16. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Having just lost this autumn's digital shooting due to a defective DVD, I am very happy to have a horde of negatives stretching back over the past 30+ years! Have just ordered some Kodak Etkar from 7dayshop to feed my Pentaxes :rolleyes:

17. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Did you not have a backup on another dvd or disk drive?

I put all our pictures onto dvd at the end of the year as well as having them backed up onto another (external) drive.

18. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Well yes actually, the processed images were saved on my two hard drives, but the RAW originals are gone :(

I hate this continual need to back up, it's a complete pain.

Further I am old enough to have seen more operating systems and data storage systems come and go than many have had hot dinners. I doubt very much if anyone will be able to access my digital files in 30 years time, while my negatives, if not destroyed by fire or flood, should still be fine. ;)

19. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, I am also still using Fuji Provia 100 slide film in my Z1-P. Although I can't stop myself from looking at the back of the camera to see the shot, which isn't there of course!! :D :D

20. Done_rundleCams

Hi David,

It's being Canadian, eh :D Well that and long 'airy arms :rolleyes:

;)

Jack