1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Wildlife lens?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by attack_donut, Aug 27, 2007.

1. attack_donut

attack_donut Well-Known Member

I'm taking a "Nature Photography" class, thinking my set of Macro lenses for my K1000 would get me through.

Silly me, the teacher isn't into Macro, but wildlife (bears and deers and whatnot) which requires me to get a telephoto lens.

No damage done, I don't mind spending more money ;-)

Best lens I have currently, is a 100-300 telephoto and a 500mm reflex lens with the option for a 2x teleconverter.

The reflex lens is nice but with the teleconverter added, things are a bit....murky, but I'm blaming the teleconverter.

In any case, suggestions for a good wildlife lens (make and length) is appreciated

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have the Pentax 80-320 f4.5 zoom, which on the K10D gives a max of 480mm. Even then I feel something longer would be nice to be able to get in closer. It really depends on how deep your pockets are. A fast (2.8) lens will be most useful for keeping the shutter speeds up. I assume you are using film, so the choice of ISO speed is again up to you. Some of the offerings from Sigma or Tokina are reasonable, but the Pentax originals are probably better.

Other than that, I have no specific recommendations.

3. attack_donut

Given I'm new at this, and will be looking on ebay (my giess is all these lenses will be used) I'm not certain what specific keywords to look for, can you give me some specific lens names/details to search for?

Cheers!

4. Monobod

It seems from what you say in your first post that your subjects will be some distance away from you. You will most likely need a good steady (Sturdy) tripod or at the very least a good monopod. I have both from Manfrotto, a well respected make, but others are around as well. Search on this forum for links to other posts on this subject.

Are you looking for autofocus or manual and what camera will you be using? Is it the K1000 or a later model, digital or film?

You can search the Internet for sites that list earlier Pentax lenses. There are so many that I cannot list them all here. A bit more precise information from you will help me and others to make recommendations. :)

5. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I have 2 Sigmas, the 28-300 and a fixed 400 and they do the job.

But, there are times when I need a bit more pulling power so I am looking at the Sigma 170-500 or a 500mm A/F mirror.

You may gether from the last lens mentioned that I am not a Pentax owner but we have the same interests.

6. attack_donut

I am using a K1000, fully manual camera. I also have a very xpensive Manfrotto tripod (forget the model right now tho) with an aftermarket also very expensive) 4-way focuing rail (mostly for macro work) and a seperate manfrotto head (3 arms)

I will be shooting slide film, Fuji Velvia in 50 ISO speed.

Hope that helps :)

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You may find that Velvia is a bit slow for wildlife unless you push it. Provia 400X may be too fast, but from my experience it's fantastic stuff.

9. Monobod

The Sigma 50-500 is digital, so not a lot of use to you. Yes, unless you have a very fast lens, ISO 50 will give you very slow shutter speeds, which may result in blurred images of your wildlife on the move.

10. attack_donut

I know the film is very slow, this is what the teacher wants us to use, which I found to be a curious choice given the long lenses we'll be using...

and the prince tag for that lens is a tad...ummm....much! I'm studying photogrpahy, not planning on making it my career, therefore I cannot justify that kind of green, however nice it may be, on a lens.