1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildlife lens

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by LordWotsit, Nov 18, 2017.

1. LordWotsit

LordWotsit Member

Hi all I have recently bought a D3400 and I am looking for a lens suitable for shooting wildlife.
    I have been looking at the Nikon 300mm f/4D IF-ED AF-S which I would pair with the 1.4 teleconverter. Can anyone give an opinion on this setup or maybe an alternative?

Thanks in advance

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is how I started (with Canon) but there were not so many credible zooms around 10 years ago. Now I use a fixed 400 rather than the combination but that is mainly because I was working abroad and the 300 mm was in the UK so I doubled up.

It much depends what wildlife you are interested in. For walking around the zoo, for example, a fixed lens can often be too long. I find a 300 on a x1.3 crop OK and a 400 on a x1.3 crop a bit long, except when I really need it and then it is too short. (This is a truism - no lens is ever long enough if you espy something small, focal length cannot compensate for distance).

A converter is a bit awkward to change when you are walking about. You need to sit down, or have three hands. i'd expect the prime will outperform a budget zoom at 300 mm and the combination should work well. I've not noticed significant image degradation using a x1.4 Canon converter although AF takes longer. My converter is an old one - new Canon ones work better with AF in modern cameras. I have no idea about Nikon ones.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

To retain autofocus with a D3400 your options are restricted, you need lenses with built-in motors, so many older lenses are not really options. The set-up you mention would be one way to go, or possibly consider the Sigma 100-400, which is recent and seems to be receiving decent reviews. Either option will have a fairly dim finder image though, as you are looking at around f5.6 whatever with anything affordable at 400mm.

4. Mark Coull

Mark Coull Active Member

Hi LordWotsit,

I have the Nikon 300mm AF-S f/4 IF-ED and it is fantastic, I am also thinking of getting the tc for it, but that will be much later down the line.

I progressed from using the Nikon 55-300mm lens to the Tamron 150-600mm and stopped at the Nikon 300mm prime mentioned above. As I got better at photographing the seabirds around me I found I wanted less reach, but better clarity. I would rather just crop the image than faffing around with changing my focal length on my zoom.

I've heard the Tamron 150-600 G2 is great though and you can pick one up at ebay for £750 (if that's within your budget). The G2 has a lock mechanism where you can lock your focal length so the lens doesn't slide. Be warned though the Tamron is 2kg in weight lol.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I used the Tamron 200-400 f5.6 for a long time and rated it highly.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I still use mine from time to time and as long as I avoid wide open I agree, it does a nice job. I also like the fact that it's remarkably compact when closed down and fit's well into quite a modest sized camera bag.