1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Wide Angle Lenses for Pentax Ist Dl2

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by geoid, Jun 18, 2006.

1. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Hi, I've recently bought this camera, for a trip to Vancouver in a month or so. I want to take advantage of a good wide angle lens. But am finding it hard to understand the ratios and what product I should buy.
    I know I may sound a little green on this point, but any assitance would be appreciated!

I have the standard 18-55mm on the Pentax at the present. What would constitute wide angle? And what make ( Sigma etc) would be advisable to buy for good panoramic shots?

Many thanks.

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Roughly speaking the 18/55mm is 28/70 in film terms and 28mm is a standard wideangle. I'd be happy with a lens such as this for most landscapes. Any wider and your talking big bucks. I've got a 14mm sigma. on a digital it would be something like a 20mm. So if you can spare £300 or more then 14mm is as wide as it gets.

3. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Ta! What Sigma lens do you have? I think though I will experiment with this lens till I am more used to the camera.

Just wondering what other lens equipment was available.

Thanks for replying.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If you ar happy with zooms then there are Sigma's 12-24mm or 15-30mm zooms. Tamron also do an 11-18mm.

Of course there's also Pentax' own kit - if you're feeling flush that is. They even do what appears to be a fisheye zoom!

5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Mines a sigma 14mm 3.5 unfortunately a minolta fit for my 800si that cost me £370

6. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Thanks El Cid/Frank1. Plenty of information to consider. And prices too!
    BTW ( El Cid) I like your Trafalgar 2000 photos, I was in Santander ( Spain) last year for the 2005 do, that had some incredible ships coming into port. At that time I just had my old Canon, so the shoots weren't as impressive!

I think the Fish Eye could be a lot of fun yes.I just really want to have a lot of fun with photography, and get as many different opportunities as possible.

Ta!

Gary.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Cheers........one day I might even get round to putting up some more.......

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Wide Angle Lenses for Pentax Ist Dl2 ---some examples..

Morning Gary,

I shoot with Pentax, work in a camera shop and picked up the DA 12-24 (last December) which I used on a trip over to London (this past February) and found the DA 12-24 to be a skookum lens... and here
    are few links -- see below --showing pictures I shot with my DA 12-24 or my FA 28-200 lenses.

**Also, another lens you might want to check out is the DA 16-45 which, while I don't own, I did use to
    shoot a friend's wedding last fall and was really impressed with it :). Also, the DA 16-45 is less expensive than the DA 12-24, albeit not as wide ;).

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/294972/an/0/page/19#294972

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/295629/an/0/page/19#295629

and some shots, from Vancouver -- where I live :rolleyes: -- http://www.amateurphotographer.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/324286/an/0/page/3#324286

BTW, the next 2 of 3 links are strictly DA 12-24 whislt the 3rd one is a combo again.

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/329788/an/0/page/1#329788

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/forum.../gonew/1#UNREAD

a combo of DA 12-24 and FA 28-200 .....but mostly 'telephoto zoom shots'

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/329789/an/0/page/0#329789

Also, I would strongly recommend getting a telephoto zoom ( the Pentax DA 50-200 ) is a really sharp little (literally -- same size as the DA 18-55) lens and quite reasonably priced. Also, FWIW, the DA 12-24, DA 16-45 and DA 50-200 lenses have all just undergone quite significant price drops here and will hopefully do so in the UK before you depart.

And if you want to drop by to say hello or a coffee...send me a PM and I will respond with contact info for me :).

Oh and, BTW, welcome to the AP Forums and look forward to (possibly) saying hello in Vancouver :rolleyes:.

Hope all or some of the above cra...err stuff is somewhat helpful.

Cheers,

Jack

9. johnmcd

johnmcd Well-Known Member

hi Gary & Jack, I did like Jacks 12-24 lens but I have the 16-45 Pentax F4. The 16-45 is a very high quality lens especially for the money and the constant F4 aperture is very usefull. I do finf however that I often need something a bit more telephoto and end up using the old 24-90 F3.5-4.5 lens a lot even though optically it isn't quite as good. I thing the combination of the 12-24 and 24-90 would be a nice one.

10. johnmcd

johnmcd Well-Known Member

Sorry about the typos, I was in a hurry, I'll try and do better next time.

11. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Ta for that! I think that I will look into both the DA 12-24 and the 16-45. I've also been mooching around the Sigma 10-20. Has anyone used this lens? It is Digital only and only 300 squid. That might well be good also.

Jack I would very much like to meet a native Vancouverite during my stay, I will send you a PM.

I like your pictures, both relevant and gritty! I've been warned about the skids area, but Europe has the same, so for a city dweller I'll cope.Lol.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If you are going to Vancouver, don't forget to drop in on Jack and buy him a drink or two.

13. Done_rundleCams

Morning Geoff,

An excellent idea but I was thinking about buying Gary a drink or two :) ..........if he bought a lens or two :D

Cheers,

Jack

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think maybe we should come back to Vancouver.

Hic

15. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Actually if Jack can do the Pentax Da 12-24 cheaper than 600 quid I might consider it. Lol.

16. Done_rundleCams

Morning Geoff,

:D

Jack

17. Done_rundleCams

Morning Gary,

Easy-peasy......just let me know when :).

Cheers,

Jack

18. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

Booze & Lenses! ( not not the name of my optician)! My trip to Vancouver should be interesting! If they are cheaper there, I will more than likely buy one at Jack's camera shop! Tee hee.

19. niblue

niblue New Member

I'm using the Sigma 10-20 on my DS and I've found it excellent so far. It's good value at around £300 as well.

20. geoid

geoid Well-Known Member

I am tempted with the Sigma. Where did you buy it for 300? I'm finding it varies from 340 to 400.