1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

In your experience do some of your devices get a much better reception of Wi-Fi than others? I mean really better not just what a signal meter on the device might show. One of my tablets, an old one as it happens, I can always rely on to work well in parts of the house where other devices won’t.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yes.

Zou likes this.
  3. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

No all 80+ Mb/s even the wireless weekdays and weekends do slow it down to 70+, the ones two floors down in my office and the wired main connection upstairs in my sons gaming room all the same

BT Fibre 2 – Fibre 2 represents the fastest BT deal we can get. It clocks in with speeds averaging 67Mbps

It also gives FREE mobile phone calls

Image1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes. My PC is normally in the living room with a network cable internet connection but since "the event" and working from home became a thing, has been in the spare bedroom on WiFi. Download speed remains decent but upload really poor, unable to use video conferencing software. Work phone, in the exact same location, very good on WiFi with no problems video conferencing. Tablets and phones seem to work better in general, presumably both types of device are optimised better for this than generally static desktops.

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The signal in my office at the back of the house varies enormously. The router does have two networks (different frequencies) one of which works better than the other but the signal strength can vary as can the performance of the external connection. We are Fibre-to-Cabinet and are 800 m from the cabinet so our connection is not fast. I have a 4g wifi router for emergencies. It can be vastly faster than the house system.

I haven't noticed much difference between devices experiencing different performance in different rooms - but then I don't use more than one device at a time.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We're thankfully close to the cabinet, as it's still copper. Last time we checked fibre still wasn't available. Despite that, my wife can be on a video call to Japan on her tablet while I video conferenced for work with no slow down, so whilst we might not have class leading speeds it isn't exactly purgatory.

ascu75 likes this.
  7. PeteRob

A lot of fibre has been laid during lockdown. Out and about cycling I seem to come across Openreach vans in the remotest of places. They laid fibre across our estate 2-3 weeks ago so I'm waiting for when it becomes "available" which will probably mean cutting a trench I guess. I'm not quite sure how they do the physical house connection with fibre. We have a tree that will have to come out. The roots, growing horizontally rather than down, are getting too close to the house anyway but it is sitting over my best guess for where the existing water and phone connections are buried.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm on fibre (good roughage0.
    Probably not nearly as good as you all get but it is:
    D/L 36.86Mb/s
    U/L 9.19Mb/s
    Ping 30ms

Good enough for me!

9. Roger_Provins

I have a Virgin fibre connection to the router net speeds are...
    Download 260Mbs
    Upload 20Mbs
    Ping 12ms

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Same as mine but WiFi speeds are much less, particularly in some areas. I have some Powerline adapters in one room they work fine. I need to run an ethernet cable or get more Powerline adapters for the pc that holds the photos as the upload speed to cloud backup is very slow. I’m not keen on trying to run a long cable through the walls.

I also find that mobile devices are better than larger more fixed devices.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Other WiFi devices can impact on WiFi signals. Cordless land-line base stations and kitchen appliances like fridges and microwave ovens can also interfere with the signal too.

12. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Virgin here gives me around 90M down and 10 up

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

We have got BT coming to check our stuff next week as my new iPad keep failing and when I reported it the nice lady from BT said it needs checking and a new router. No idea what my speeds are. Much slower since lockdown :oops:
    Don

14. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just done two checks 25mbps down and 5upload o_O not very good methinks :(

15. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I just checked mine - Vodafone NZ, fibre to the house. Download 100, upload 23, ping 12.

ascu75 likes this.
  16. PeteRob

Ours is normally about 12 down and 2 up. Normally 3 users on it, can choke if 2 of us are on video-calls. My backup 4 G can be 50 down and 12 up but varies a lot, contention I expect. Be good to get fibre to the house rather than just to the cabinet that is half-a-mile away.

ascu75 likes this.
  17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

My internet is fibre. We are the last house that gets it from the cabinet which is at the max distance from our house and is around 10 down 1 up. That is only used for our Sky Q box and the internet for the AirBnB.
    Because it was so crap I got a 4G router from 3 and as I type it is showing 68 down, 14 up which I am happy with. That is used for everything else, TV's for Netflix and Amazon etc.

As for the wifi, I often find my iPhone has better connectivity than the laptop. Speedtest on my phone right now is 68 down, 27 up.

18. PeteRob

Same thing. Fibre to Cabinet only works well if you live next to the cabinet. A long run of copper plus contention from those who live nearer streaming films kills it. A 4 G modem is much faster most of the time but the network can get busy. Direct fibre to house is the thing, at least it is now in the road. Just need that last 30'.

ascu75 likes this.
  19. Roger_Provins

The average user doesn't need massive speeds, I certainly don't, but what I have came with the Virgin package. Everything is pretty much instant!

20. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Yes they have been out in force in Wales