1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why use lightroom for post production.

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Knotty, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

I have PS CS6 and 2018 Lightroom. Lightroom is great for indexing/cataloguing etc and some post production but if you have PS and understand layers why would you use Lightroom.
    Am I missing something?
    Brian

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't understand layers at all but I find LR intuitive, having arrived there from Canon DPP when LR added local adjustments. The only thing I miss is that it is difficult to clone out more than dust but that is needed very seldom and usually because I was careless in capture. LR does everything I need, but DPP is much more convenient to use for initial screening and EOS utility for import. I moved to the subscription version of LR classic from 6.14 so I have access to photoshop as well if I choose to install it. I've also got a copy of On1 2018 which has clever cloning without invoking layers. I use it to screen Fuji files before adding to LR.

And while I'm here could you please pick a less horrible avatar. I don't know why I find it unpleasant to look at but I do.

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I use a program that came with my first Canon digital, in 2005, called Arcsoft Photostudio 5. It still works fine with the JPEG files from my 60D.

4. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

Cheers Pete.

I will pick another avatar. I started off with a wide eyed owl, which I use on other sites. I then saw there was an existing member with a very similar avatar so I changed it out of courtesy to him.
    Brian

5. PeteRob

Thank you

Catriona likes this.
  6. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

There you go Pete.
    Rgds
    Brian

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

For batch processing. Very quick to apply the same recipe even to a large batch, which is often handy for me for conference shoots..

Scphoto likes this.
  8. Knotty

Knotty In the Stop Bath

Good point Nick I've seen that mentioned before but I can't (so far) see it being useful to me.
    Brian

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Probably isn't, Brian. For single shots, I much prefer PS myself.

Gezza likes this.
  10. PeteRob

I'd assumed recipe pasting was standard across all software, coming from DPP I can't imagine not using it.

I'd add the ability to customise the recipe, the ability to make virtual copies and the print module. Publish collections also greatly simplify posting to, for example, Flickr.