1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why shoot film (35mm)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by scott236, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Listen, I wouldn't argue with Erm and talk about holding glands in the same post . . . . :eek:

2. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Can't say I've ever found that, but each to their own of course.

3. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Indeed. :)

4. fulvio

fulvio Well-Known Member

I have a TV producer friend who does very fancy CGI stuff at work, but at home with four children he has had enough of digital compacts. Three have been written off by being dopped, with holiday snaps lost. Now he has a film compact, which is less fussy being dropped as it's hollow and simpler. Anyway, so far it has survived, which is a miracle in that house.

Personally, I use film because I like doing my own B&W ... and because I'm an amateur. If I had to make a living with photography I'd go digital tomorrow (and probably starve).

5. Click1

Click1 New Member

Depends-if you are doing wedding photography I would recommend film-digital cameras produce moire patterns on some materials that have greater resolution that the sensor- It would be devastating to have moire patterns on a bride;s gown,regards, ken

6. Woolliscroft

Sorry, if that sounded like sarcasm, I just meant different people like different things.

7. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

No worries :) I find it more FUN because I can instantly see it, I have no patience waiting to see results, Im like a kid and I want it NOW!!! :D :D

I also adore tweaking it in Photoshop until the colours are just right and its nice and sharp. Its boring waiting for it to come back from the lab and somebody else having control over what comes out :(

8. Woolliscroft

Ah the joys of working in a darkroom, and you can still use photoshop.

9. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

And I was useless in the darkroom. Whereas I worked in a photo lab for a year and a half /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. robertj

robertj Well-Known Member

11. glynjones

glynjones Well-Known Member

I love my DSLR for shooting pics of my kids, and when I'm out and about for fun. But if I want quality I'll always go with film - why, because I hate my computer

I reckon you can get as good (if not better) quality with digital, but not without playing about in photoshop, colour management, printer profiling etc - I go cold just thinking about it

Shoot slide film - send it off - couple of days later beautiful pics. If I want to put anything up on my wall - get an enlargement done. Of all the A4 prints I've made from my digital only one is on the wall.

Don't get me wrong, if you like the whole photoshop thing go for it, its just not for me.

As the original poster - go on ebay and get a good film camera, they're going for peanuts. A canon eos 300 was one of the top selling slr's a few years ago and one went the other day for £30. Can't go wrong

Glyn

12. jayemm

jayemm Well-Known Member

A slight warning, if you ever mention "film" and "digital" in the same sentence, the proverbial do-do is always going to hit the fan.

Many people seem to have a personal preference either way, however I am not biased. My personal experience, what little there is, comes from both.

I shot for a long time on 35mm and am now moving to digital. Why? Well, the main reason is that I had never used an SLR before and I could get a 35mm one for free. If you search eBay you can get very large kits of 35mm gear for good prices, much of it compatible with current Digital stuff (ie. anything nikkor or any canon post 1992). I personally used a 25-year-old Manual Focus Canon A-1 to hone my skills, play with film and photoshop, get used to the whole photography thing as an art and skill and now I can afford it I'm going digital - 35mm sadly costs a lot, especially when developing slide film at certain places.

So there is my two pennies - I've done both, though given the choice I would choose Digital. It might be that I have less experience and money invested in film. It might not.

Peace

13. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

1,000 pictures on one battery? I knew that digital cameras had a narrow dynamic range, but do you really need to bracket that far?

I think I'll stick to film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.