1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why shoot film (35mm)

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by scott236, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott236

scott236 Active Member

as a newcomer to photography why should i shoot 35mm(slr) over digicam (5.0mp)
    all opinions welcolme
    thanks scott.

2. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

In absolute terms, no reason at all either way.

You need to define your photographic needs and aims, then choose whichever format and mode meets those needs and aims most effectively.

3. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

No reason at all, you should be using medium format! :)

Seriously though, there are a lot of people who shoot 35mm because they like it, it's a personal choice really, I use it because the quality from a really good 35mm film camera is still stunning and I enjoy darkroom work. Also there are thousands of old cameras out there, that have a certain "feel" about them and often can be picked up for very little.

At the end of the day though, you pays your money, you makes your choice. See what you prefer. There will always be people saying that you should be using film, or you should be using digital, but at the end of the day, it's what works for you. Personally I love being able to drop off (or post) a roll of colour neg film, and then have the anticipation while I wait to see what the results are like, rather than being able to see them straight away, sure it's a bit more hit and miss, but for me, that's part of the fun.

4. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

If you want to project your images.

5. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Same for me although I like the benefits of digital too. Sometimes it's nice to get your slides/prints back and know that if they're good thats it, no messing about on the computer even if it's only levels and USM. Of course at other times I like the opposite. There's nothing that says you have to choose one over the other, use both :cool:

Enjoy, Richard

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

For me, several reasons - one, I like using my old film cameras. Two, I like the look of Velvia, especially projected. Three, I like proper film grain in B&W. But I do like digital as well, of course!

7. chris000

chris000 Well-Known Member

Its a fair question. I think its a shame that a lot of newcomers to photography will never experience the sheer quality of (even) 35mm film - for me its not just a question of resolution but pictures shot on film also seem to have a certain indefinable different look and feel to them.

BUT, with all the current uncertainties about the future of film, and if I did not already own several, would I splash out my hard earned cash on a high quality film camera now - I'm not sure I would

8. Sharp Shooter

Sharp Shooter Well-Known Member

IMO, it's the combination of conventional and digital technology that's the best reason for shooting 35mm film:

20+ MP images, the exceptional tonal latitude of quality negative film over digital sensors, and the many benefits of image-editing software that lead to great prints.

But you’ll need a decent scanner and, of course the film has to be developed. There’s just no way I can get the same quality and tonal range with my 6 MP DSLR. I've tried.

Also, in the context of scanning, slide film loses too much in the shadows and highlights, and that results in even more loss in the print.

9. pmuckle

pmuckle Member

One reason to go with film - if you shoot slides, in 30, 40 or 50 years time, all you will need to do to view them is hold them up to the light, assuming they have been stored properly.

With digital shots, there is a chance that in 50 years time the shot will be stored on obsolete media, or lost to corruption or deletion.

10. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

What digital camera are you using, if it is a digital compact or digtal bridge camera you are using and not a DSLR, then I would have thought its the general superiority of the image quality especially when increasing the ISO or enlargement, which is not so much when comparing film to a DSLR. Your using a Fuji s5600 I think that has a simalar sensor to my own digi cam, you really seriouly can't tell the difference?

11. Mugshot

Mugshot Well-Known Member

I prefer film because I beleive film is capable of tonal qualitys, and hues of colour that at digital imaging at it's current state of development can only dream of.

12. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Hi there Scott!

Film is still a great contender in what concerns dynamic range, colour depth etc. Remember that with film what happens is a natural photo-chemical reaction and as it happens in Nature the variables are infinite or near infinite. That's why film photos seem to have more depth and a total different feel about them. With Digital due to technological limitations we are not quite there yet. Most companies are fighting out to get the ultimate film-like quality with new sensors (the Foveon X3 and now Sony's Clearvid and Fuji's Super CCD and their new prototype design that uses biological reacting cells and also Canon is working on a new sensor too). The quality of Digital is very good though so don't stop yourself from enjoying what both mediums give you and as pointed out by some here already the mix of digital and conventional photography leads to great results... and that's what we all want is good end results.

13. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

14. Barrington

Barrington Well-Known Member

Why anyone who cares about picture quality then insists on digital is better is beyond me.Digital is great if you are a fan of overblown fake colours,noise and inferior resolution.Sharpness? If they are so sharp then how come the first button people press in photoshop is the 'sharpen' one? People also forget that,essentially,the light acting on good old fashioned silver halide crystals is effectively altering then down to the molecular level and not just translating a voltage from a fixed square of silicon.The random nature of the distribution of the crystals on film also accounts for the smoother tonality.
    35mm kicks the crap out of digital no matter what the resolution.Oh,and the batteries in the cameras go flat in minutes and picures get even fuzzier when users hold the camera at arms length.Hmm,they must like fuzz and camera shake too!

Barrington

15. ncmoody

ncmoody Well-Known Member

6x6 might but not 35mm

RUBBISH, I shot over 1000 pictures on one set of batteries in my E-500

You don't hold a DSLR at arms length, unless you are a Dork, which by your previous post could be the case.

16. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........................

17. pmuckle

pmuckle Member

I keep a Pentax MX + 40mm lens permanently loaded with HP5 hanging up by the door. All mechanical operation, batteries only needed for the meter - ready to go day or night.

With pdas, mobiles, mp3s etc clogging up my extension cables, I am happy to use something that doesn't need charging every day or two.

Like my digital camera...

18. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

:)

Quite right Erm, you know me, I'm quite happy being a luddite, but even I was groaning there.

At the end of the day, photography is all about compromise, if we wanted the highest quality possible we'd all be carting round ultra large format cameras... funny thing is we're not.

You pays your money you makes your choice, unfortunately there are people on both sides of the photographic divide that will be determined you made the wrong one (until film becomes obsolete and you can't buy it anymore, or all digital sensors stop working due to strange and unforseen sunspot activity)

Incidentally, I don't think either of those is likely to happen terribly soon.

19. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

/Quote about 2 years out of date imo. I can relate to some of these points with compact digitals but DSLRs its totally different.

20. Les_McLean

Les_McLean Well-Known Member

Gosh, it's like walking into a time warp, I remember a few years ago, folk like Barrington would get on their soap boxes to denounce the digital demons, I bet he still wears tank tops and never misses a Showaddywaddy gig :rolleyes:

Les

http://www.lesmclean.co.uk/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.