1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Pentax?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by JerryNash, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Well-Known Member

My history with Pentax goes back to the mid 1970's when I was just out of school and finally earning money .

I already had a interest in Photography , having inherited an Ilford Sportsman from my father , then replaced it with a Zeiss Contina , along the way also aquiring a secondhand twin lens Rollei . With the fruits of my first earnings , I decided it was time I had a SLR , so I looked at the various options : decided I wanted something a bit better than the Zenit and Practika cameras at the cheapest end of the market , considered Nikon , but could see no advantage over Pentax in terms of build quality , besides several people had also advised that Pentax lenses were the best .

In the end I bought the then-new Km with 50mm f1.7 SMC Takumar , before long I had added a 123mm f2.8 and then one accessory after another . Over the years , I worked my way through a range of bodies , culminating with two MX's then two LX's . I was pretty much underwhelmed by the notion of AF , being quite happy that I could focus accurately with my existing cameras and could see nothing to better them .

Eventually , I dipped a toe in the water with digital and bought an *istD body - pleased that it could use all my existing lenses , Metz flashes and many other accessories . I did find manual focussing less easy due to the smaller viewfinder and my fading eyesight since I was by then well into my 40's , so I bought a couple of Sigma EX AF lenses which I was very happy with . I also bought a mint used MZ-S body for use with these .

Nowadays , I have something like 14 Pentax bodies ( most of which are just 'ornaments' these days - although all still work ) , countelss lenses , half a dozen flashes and more - the nice thing about Pentax is that just about everything works with just about everything else - more than I can say for certain other makes which we use at work .

My own kit is Pentax ( apart from a Canon G11 compact ) ; at work we are supplied with Canon & Nikon kit ( but some of my best pictures are still taken with my own equipment ) .

If I came into money , I'd have a new K5 in an instant , along with a set of 'Limited' lenses - because as far as I am concerned they are 'the best' .

Meanwhile , I still get very nice results with the *istD and film .