1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Why Pentax Cameras are cheaper

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Pentaneil, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Pentaneil

Pentaneil Member

I started ap about a year ago and i got to choose from a Cannon; Pentax ; Minolta ; Nikon. I chose the Pentax for the reason that it had everything I wanted and It was the least expensive. I got a good camera and really good price with it. Pentax lenses also are alot cheaper than most leading brands. All I can say is that I love my Pentax!!! I hope that you can say the same

Now u see me, no u don't, but my Pentax will see me even if i move at the speed of light.

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

You pays yer money and you takes your choice Neil. I still reckon that a Canon can whip the pants off any Pentax when it comes to handling and AF performance, but as long as you are happy with your purchase, what the heck!
    BigWill

3. kidsilver

kidsilver Member

Is it not rumoured Will that what you have ain't as important as how you use it........

4. BigWill

That's what I tell all the girls Brian, but do they listen......
    Big(Or not as the case may be)Will

5. Reading

Reading Well-Known Member

Its the quality of the glass that matters more to Pentax users. Some of the Pentax lenses are unbeatable...

Handling is subjective, and AF performance is usually measured in some arbitrary way which doesnt necessarily reflect real life. Granted I know the Pentax arent the fastest anyway - but I dont think the difference is that big that it would be significant.

What I really want for Pentax is IS!!!

6. openkast

openkast Active Member

Pentax used to be strong in the consumer end of the 35mm
    SLR market through the seventies and early eighties but
    kind of lost the plot for about 10 years until 96/97.
    Olympus managed to do the same and seem to have bailed
    out almost completely.

That's left them playing catch-up in the market and they
    really only play in the bottom to mid level as well. They
    can't charge a premium for their products as the brand
    has lost some of its strength.

Despite that I'm surprised by how many MZ users I come
    across -- the -30 and -50 seem popular.

I reckon that the ME/ME Super/MG and MX in particular
    represented Pentax's zenith from about '76 through '86.

----------
    Andrew.

7. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Pentax are still a major player in Medium Format of course. They've just got a big coup: Andy Rouse is switching most of his shooting to the 645N /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Get out and get shooting!!

8. Pen-Man

Pen-Man Well-Known Member

The Pentax LX was probably one of the best manual-focus cameras ever made It certainly rivalled Nikon's F3 and the Canon F1. Towards the end of its reign it certainly was'nt cheap though.

Keep rocking

9. TimF

Towards the end of its reign it certainly was'nt cheap though.

Quality never is!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

10. openkast

openkast Active Member

I would say they have a niche in MF but again my
    impression is that barring the few who want a big 6x7
    SLR that Mamiya and Bronica hit them from ether sides
    and below and Hasselblad and Rollei from above.

It certainly seems to me that there is more Mamiya,
    Bronica, Fuji, and Hasselblad MF kit about over the
    years than Pentax -- though this is more in the way
    of being anecdotal of people I know and hear about
    than any sort of actual 'research'.

------------
    Andrew.

11. TimF

Again completely unscientific: From looking at camera details in OP, landscapers seem to split about 50:50 between Mamiya and Pentax.

12. BigWill

The Pentax 6x7 is an absolute classic and is almost unique in being the only 6x7 which looks and handles like an oversized 35mm SLR. I would love one.
    BigWill

13. Reading

The end of its reign?

Its still in production you know!!!

Many still cite it as the finest camera ever made - especially for low light photography.

The MZ-S was supposed to be an AF SLR built with the LX philosophy. I dont think it quite convinced anyone of that, but it has certainly excited the Pentax fraternity, and some have even sold their LX's to get one!!

Unfortunately Pentax was very much behind when AF first came out, and for some reason the Z1 bombed - which is why it retails so cheaply (it was the only way to sell them!). I think Pentax has been a bit afraid to target the 'high-end' market since then and has concentrated on some blinding entry level and 'amateur' models. Keen pricing has built quite a following in these sectors, but they no longer have the name of canon or nikon so it is always a struggle. MZ-S and limited lenses seem to be an attempt to move them into the leica market segment rather than try to win back the canon/nikon segment.

Just wish they would promote their products more - brand awareness is zilch for your average consumer!!

14. Pen-Man

Pen-Man Well-Known Member

Still in production, but I believe only for the Japanese market. In my city (Hull) I have'nt even seen a second-hand model for ages. Accessories are also becoming very hard to find, except possibly for speciallised dealers. The Z1 (I have one) is a very good camera in all but auto-focus.

Keep rocking

15. thunderbow

thunderbow Well-Known Member

Just checked in to this forum.
    I have a Z1p with a good range of lenses,but my pride and joy is my 67mk2.
    I have two ancient 67 bodys(bit like my own!!!!),much cheaper than backs for B******* and M******. I have a 45mm, 75mm, 90mm leaf shutter, 150mm, 165 leaf shutter.A set of extension tubes and a helicoil tube complete my kit.
    The lenses are superb, and the metering is faultless, in my humble opinion.

"IT'S TOUGH IN THE JUNGLE"

16. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Pentax,cheaper but better rated if you go to..

www.camerareview.com

To all posters, but mostly the Pentax-ambivalent ones.

Check out the above URL.

Cameras & Cocktails......(Pentax's & a 12 year old Scapa)

Jack

not digital but film, so far, but digital is
    starting to seduce me.

17. Reading

Re: Pentax,cheaper but better rated if you go to..

What is Cameras & cocktails?

It was noted some while ago that the top 35mm cameras here are the MZ-S and Z1P, was this what we were meant to see?

18. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Pentax,cheaper but better rated if you go to..

Hi Rob,

What is Cameras & cocktails?

""This is my way of signing off.""

It was noted some while ago that the top 35mm cameras here are the MZ-S and Z1P, was this what we were meant to see?

"" Yes.""

Cameras & Cocktails,

Jack

not digital but film, so far, but digital is
    starting to seduce me.