1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I've pulled out of film photography.

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by peterkin1010, Sep 28, 2012.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Yes, I know what you mean. I've never got what I consider to be good results printing colour negs onto MG paper even after bumping up to G.5!

2. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

The two aren't mutually exclusive, just because I use film does not forbid me from using a digital camera, if I pick up a digital camera it doesn't explode in my hand and blow my fingers off.

Nobody has to be 100% of either. Are you actually serious about replacing an F5 with your phone?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. STEVE51

STEVE51 Member

re film processing

try a company called bayuer of oxford st london

4. peterkin1010

peterkin1010 Active Member

I did and was heartbroken. But nonetheless I got pics which were perfectly OK.virtually zero running costs and anything I really liked I could get a print off via my Brother MFC-845CW printer.

5. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

It sounds to me you've given up with photography as a serious hobby all together?

6. peterkin1010

Not quite.

I now have a Samsung EX2F which I'm enjoying immensely. Ultimate camera purchase is now a Panasonic GX7 c/w a 25mm F1.4 lens

7. davidmurray

davidmurray Member

There's a v obvious way to use film and circumvent the prob of incompetent printing: have the film dev'ed only (Boots charge £4.5 for a 35mm CN film) and then scan them yourself using a highqual scannner - a fraction of the cost of an equivalent values SLR or DSLR.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
  8. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I will be giving up before I start using film, I have just been quoted £38.00 to develop two rolls of 120 film it will be cheaper for me to throw the films away. I doubt the shots will be any good so am better off forgetting all about film and sticking with my digital:confused:

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

How much?!!! Someone's extracting the urine if you ask me... Peak offer processing only at £4.55 per roll, even process and print isn't that much...

10. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Where? In Ashford? London? Online? By post?

11. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Yep, I had a quote a while back for £15 to develop one roll of 120, walked right out the shop, round the corner to the next developers (lucky enough to have two in the nearest large town) who charged £7.50... who then gave it to the work experience student who bodged the processing as they'd never used film before.

I fear film is getting to that stage where you pay, or you will pay in the long run. Long gone are the days of the QC sticker, and I worry it is not because it was talking down to the camera user, but because most of the time they would not know what caused the problem anymore.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Stop and think about it. At ANY price, even 1p a roll, it's cheaper to throw your films away. The question is, what are the images worth to you?

Cheers,

R.

13. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

It is very easy to develop film yourself -- I've been doing it since 1951 and you can do it in the kitchen or bathroom -- you need only to load the film into a developing tank in the DARK ( I use a 'changing bag' most of the time) then just pour chemicals in and out of the tank after 'timing' the process.... costs pennies---
    Here is a photo of some 'LOVELY FILLUM' ----
    [​IMG]
    Film Stash--- by pentaxpete, on Flickr

14. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

Develop the film yourself (there are still reputable places that will do develop-only for you), and scan it.

B&W is a piece of cake. I take colour neg/slide to a local photo shop for dev only, and print myself, although I have some C41 processing kit for emergencies.

£38 for two rollfilms suggests someone is simply telling you they don't want your business.

Ag Photographic will do your dev-only process for about £3/roll (+p/p) for any of 35mm/120/220.

15. peterkin1010

Well well well...!

I never ever thought I'd write this post but I am doing.

The film bug has been seriously repressed inside me but a bit like a Xenomorph in the film 'Alien' suddenly burst out with consequences for my bank balance.

I've bought me a near mint Canon EOS-3 c/w a PB-E2 booster and a new Canon EF 100mm F2.0 USM lens. I used it for the first time earlier before rain stopped play. And what a DELIGHT! ULTRA fast AF, handles like a dream and is so much a part of me. As for processing? My first film off to Boots (as it is a test) and from then onwards I'll be giving Peak in Sheffield a try.

A 100mm sounds a strange choice for a first lens and to many a 50mm f 1.4 USM would have made more sense. But I'm intending to do lots of portraits and some street photography. This combination is suiting me far better than the F5 I owned. And I have a feeling I'll be getting better results.

As for a scanner? Yes a definite possibility but maybe a while as I've got to acquire a couple more lenses and a flash.

I'll be using Ektar 100 in future, this could all get very interesting.

16. peterkin1010

Even back in the 1980's when I owned some fantastic 35mm and Medium Format kit it almost always paid to use a professional lab. Sadly these are extremely rare now-I know of only two in the UK now ie Peak in Sheffield and Bayeux in London. Jessops used to offer an extremely cost effective 'Diamond Laser' service up until recently. Sadly the last couple of times I used them their standards had fell through the floor.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well now that's a very strange coincidence, because I have right next to me my 3, with 100mm lens mounted (macro, though, not the f2), roll of Ektar sitting there, although my PB-E2 is upstairs - I was just about to start work on a little write-up about it. Only thing I've ever disliked about it is that it's a bit loud - other than that, it's an utterly terrific camera.

The 100mm f2 is a bit of a hidden gem in the range - an excellent choice from what I've seen of it. The 35mm f2 might be good for your street work - fairly cheap, decent quality and fairly compact, only thing is it's not USM, so makes a bit of a racket. The 28mm f1.8 is a good, quiet, but pricier alternative.

Have fun!

18. peterkin1010

Thanks very much for your reply.Sadly my attempts for some street photography earlier were dealt a double whammy of failing light and it coming back on to rain.Got to admit I'm thinking very much along the lines you've suggested. Canon have now brought out an EF 35mm F2 IS. It has added image stabilisation and a USM motor as well as a different optical design. Of course this is all added into the price but I think it could be worthwhile.However I think a 28mm f 1.8 USM is next on my list.And I agree with the gist of your post on the EOS 3. I only have some minor reservations which are the main switch position, lack of internal dioptric correction and yes I agree it is noisy. Even so this is my best camera ever and I've gone from almost every single brand. Its a shame Canon have stopped production.

19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Nice camera and lens combo. I loved my EOS 3s, which I sold before the prices hit the floor. The only aspect I disliked was the loudness of the camera when exposing. I had a 100mm f2, rated it much higher than the 85mm f1.8, at least on the copies that I owned.

20. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

when I do not process my own C41 films I use BOOTS in Brentwood High Street here in Essex and Bill the operator KNOWS about photography and the difference between a GREEN and a CYAN colour cast and had done some really good prints and well -processed negatives -- if you have no 'BOOTS' then use SIGFOTO LAB part of Sigma Pharmatceuticals and they do an excellent job £ 6 -00 for 36 prints 6x4 they can be accessed through High Street Chemists that deal with Sigma Pharmaceuticals.